• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take a lien on this property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ONLY4MY2BOYS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
Okay, not sure where to begin but here goes......I live in a rural community apprised of small tracts and small farms, the neighbor I have had for 20 years was somewhat of an odd duck and collected junk from dumpsters(microwaves, washers,fans,tv's and cars) for years, lived in an old trailer that rats had litterally eaten the floor out of, he had no driveway and we let him use ours for years as common courtesy until he got a wild hair and decided to have the property surveyed(he was just sure we had encroached on him) only to discover that he surveyed himself right out of a drive at all. We have cut part of his yard for years to prevent snakes, rats and **** roaches. He was ordered by the county on 2 seperate occassions to clean and maintain the property. Now you have the picture of the situation. The gentleman died in October of 2007 and the property went to his wife and daughter, they had the trailer torn down, left the debris piled up for 3 months until the county once again gave them 30 days to clean it up. We spent everyday picking up debis that blew into our yard forvever. Prior to his death, we kept the yard cut for 1 year because he was not living there, he was living in public low income housing in town, since his death we have cut the yard, removed fallen tree limbs, etc. this entire year as the property owners have not even been out there or made an attempt to clean it, and they are physically capable. My gas, my time, my equipment. If I didn't, the varnments would take over. I have offered to buy the property since it joins mine to no avail. Can I somehow take a lien on it for maintenance, upkeep and labor?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
Okay, not sure where to begin but here goes......I live in a rural community apprised of small tracts and small farms, the neighbor I have had for 20 years was somewhat of an odd duck and collected junk from dumpsters(microwaves, washers,fans,tv's and cars) for years, lived in an old trailer that rats had litterally eaten the floor out of, he had no driveway and we let him use ours for years as common courtesy until he got a wild hair and decided to have the property surveyed(he was just sure we had encroached on him) only to discover that he surveyed himself right out of a drive at all. We have cut part of his yard for years to prevent snakes, rats and **** roaches. He was ordered by the county on 2 seperate occassions to clean and maintain the property. Now you have the picture of the situation. The gentleman died in October of 2007 and the property went to his wife and daughter, they had the trailer torn down, left the debris piled up for 3 months until the county once again gave them 30 days to clean it up. We spent everyday picking up debis that blew into our yard forvever. Prior to his death, we kept the yard cut for 1 year because he was not living there, he was living in public low income housing in town, since his death we have cut the yard, removed fallen tree limbs, etc. this entire year as the property owners have not even been out there or made an attempt to clean it, and they are physically capable. My gas, my time, my equipment. If I didn't, the varnments would take over. I have offered to buy the property since it joins mine to no avail. Can I somehow take a lien on it for maintenance, upkeep and labor?
**A: I suggest you file complaints with the city and stae as well as sue the property owners.

seniorjudge

Q: Can I somehow take a lien on it for maintenance, upkeep and labor?

A: Yes, if you file a lawsuit and get a judgment against his estate.

ONLY4MY2BOYS

Nope the "estate thing" has not ended, his estate has not been probated as of today. Also, how do I find the Tennessee code annotated for adverse possession? I've looked at the codes but it is hard to decipher what I'm looking for. Thanks

seniorjudge

Nope the "estate thing" has not ended, his estate has not been probated as of today. Also, how do I find the Tennessee code annotated for adverse possession? I've looked at the codes but it is hard to decipher what I'm looking for. Thanks
Google.

But you do not have an adverse possession thing here.

If you must, sue the heirs of the man (the ones who got the real estate) OR force open a probate (see a lawyer).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">