• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an informal gift of Real Estate Be recinded after 3 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gstaley

What is the name of your state? California.

I have a situation where my father a very wealthy man, gave me a Town Home back in 2004. I have lived there since then, however he frequently threatens to recind the gift since I never formally transfered the title. (I have paid all the expenses associated with the home, and upkeep, installed upgrades and other things.) I do not honestly believe he would do this, however it is giving me an ulcer when he says it. And I've always felt guilty given that it's a pretty substantial gift I didn't earn myself. I have never paid him a dime representing rent or anything if that is helpful as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

GWhat is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

There is no such thing as an "informal gift" of real estate.

It belongs to the person whose name is on the records in the land deed records at the courthouse.

HuAi

Thank your dad for a free place to live. If he wanted to evict you he'd have to follow state law.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? California.

I have a situation where my father a very wealthy man, gave me a Town Home back in 2004. I have lived there since then, however he frequently threatens to recind the gift since I never formally transfered the title. (I have paid all the expenses associated with the home, and upkeep, installed upgrades and other things.) I do not honestly believe he would do this, however it is giving me an ulcer when he says it. And I've always felt guilty given that it's a pretty substantial gift I didn't earn myself. I have never paid him a dime representing rent or anything if that is helpful as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

GWhat is the name of your state?
You are a Tennant and have all the protection under the Landlord/Tennant Laws for your state.

tranquility

I think some answers came a little too quickly based solely on what was posted.
I have a situation where my father a very wealthy man, gave me a Town Home back in 2004. I have lived there since then, however he frequently threatens to recind the gift since I never formally transfered the title.
What does this mean? Was there written evidence of a gift? Was there a quit claim/warranty deed which has not been filed as yet?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">