• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can lardlord restrict private yard use?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smbubby

I rent a single family hous ein acommunity with 30 other single or tow family houses. Friday our landlord gave to only 7 of the tenants including me a letter stating that we are not alloed to have parties. We are allowed to have "social gatherings" but only inside the houses. Now when I moved in we were told that our yard was our responsibilty to mow and rake and now he's saying that I can not entertain anyone in my yard. Also, shouldn't he have notified all 30 tenants instead of the 7 0f us that do occasionally socialize together?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Is there a zoning issue or restrictive covenant covering all of the homes? Do the other tenants know of this?

When you rent, including the backyard, you hold a privacy interest in that area. As long you are not disturbing your neigbors to cause a nuisance (unreasonable interference with their use and enjoyment of their land), then you are free to do what you like. As long as you are not doing anything illegal, you are free to do what you like?

Where are all these 7 tenants located? Near each other, or disbursed among the 30?

Click below and check your state law.
https://law.freeadvice.com/resources/statecodes.htm

S

smbubby

There is no zoning issue that I know of or restrictiv covenant. All the 7 tenants are near each other. What's weird is he gives this to us now after summer is over and the BBQ's have stopped, its getting colder, no one is going to be outside as much. I think he's trying to get one of the 7 f us to move. A particular one. But shouldn't he have still givenr them to everyone else.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smbubby:
There is no zoning issue that I know of or restrictiv covenant. All the 7 tenants are near each other. What's weird is he gives this to us now after summer is over and the BBQ's have stopped, its getting colder, no one is going to be outside as much. I think he's trying to get one of the 7 f us to move. A particular one. But shouldn't he have still givenr them to everyone else.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">