• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a lawyer/seller not pay commission owed at closing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hscott

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I am in the middle of brokering a business sale deal set to close on Monday. I represent the seller. There is a listing agreement in place which defines my commission percentage. I brought a buyer to the table and got the seller a full price offer. It was accepted by all parties and turned over to the attorneys so they could do their thing.

Today, I was asked by the seller if I would be willing to lower my commission since she felt it was too high. Even though I shouldn't, I did lower it by 1/2% for the sake of getting the deal done and making everyone happy. I prepared a commission statement reflecting such and presented to the seller (I will also forward it to her attorney's office). I did get the feeling she was looking for a more significant discount and I explained that there was nothing else that could be done since we’ve already given her a low commission to begin with. Going any lower would be practically free.

Here's where it gets concerning...

When I mentioned that I will see her at the closing, her response was "no you're not". I stated that it was standard procedure and I would think that she would want me by her side. Her response to that was "you'll get paid, I'll mail you the check" while grinning.

If she does not want me at the closing that's fine (although not understood) because I can have someone swing by to pick up funds after the closing. She grinned again and said "that's fine, but you're not going to the closing".

For the record, I have gone above and beyond what I was obligated to do for the sale as a broker.

Perhaps I’m being paranoid, but what obligations does the closing attorney’s have to distribute funds accordingly? Is there anything I can do to insure that commissions are paid without throwing up red flags that I am suspicious?
Any suggestions/advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you.

hscott

There is no reason you need to be at the closing.

I understand that, but what (if anything) can I do to protect myself in the event that the commissionable amount is accurate? Obviously my trust level has been greatly reduced by the seller's actions of today.

Thanks

tranquility

If your commission agreement is in escrow with the deal, you being there will not be needed to get your money. If it isn't, what will you being there change? Are you going to wrestle the check out of the sellers hands?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand that, but what (if anything) can I do to protect myself in the event that the commissionable amount is accurate? Obviously my trust level has been greatly reduced by the seller's actions of today.

Thanks
If you don't get paid as per your contract, then you will need to sue.

I am curious thought...isn't your commission going to be paid by the escrow company?

FlyingRon

Actually, the standard Real Estate contracts around here put a provision for the agent to lien for the proceeds. It's something I as a purchaser always strike out of any contract that I execute.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I am in the middle of brokering a business sale deal set to close on Monday. I represent the seller. There is a listing agreement in place which defines my commission percentage. I brought a buyer to the table and got the seller a full price offer. It was accepted by all parties and turned over to the attorneys so they could do their thing.

Today, I was asked by the seller if I would be willing to lower my commission since she felt it was too high. Even though I shouldn't, I did lower it by 1/2% for the sake of getting the deal done and making everyone happy. I prepared a commission statement reflecting such and presented to the seller (I will also forward it to her attorney's office). I did get the feeling she was looking for a more significant discount and I explained that there was nothing else that could be done since we’ve already given her a low commission to begin with. Going any lower would be practically free.

Here's where it gets concerning...

When I mentioned that I will see her at the closing, her response was "no you're not". I stated that it was standard procedure and I would think that she would want me by her side. Her response to that was "you'll get paid, I'll mail you the check" while grinning.

If she does not want me at the closing that's fine (although not understood) because I can have someone swing by to pick up funds after the closing. She grinned again and said "that's fine, but you're not going to the closing".

For the record, I have gone above and beyond what I was obligated to do for the sale as a broker.

Perhaps I’m being paranoid, but what obligations does the closing attorney’s have to distribute funds accordingly? Is there anything I can do to insure that commissions are paid without throwing up red flags that I am suspicious?
Any suggestions/advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you.
**A: does the Buyer have their own real estate agent? If not, did the parties sign a dual agency agreement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">