• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can son claim Squatter's Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4wordplanner

My Father lives in MICHIGAN and owns a 2nd home (condo) in FLORIDA. My younger brother moved there with his wife temporarily to see if they liked Florida about 15 years ago and are still living in the condo and won't leave. He has worked less than 12 months in the last 15 years and she has had a few jobs off and on. My father says this can't happen and that his living will requires the assets be split 3 ways someday, but I am wondering if they will have the ability to claim "squatter's rights" to the condo in the future. I have been suggesting he sell the condo to get them out so as to avoid leaving my sister and I involved in a legal battle over the property. My brother and I do not communicate and he feels that he is owed a "free ride" because my father sold a company he (my father) owned and retired instead of keeping it and bringing him (my brother) into the business. My father pays most of their bills and has never collected rent or lease money from them, (yet). What rights to the property could my brother and his wife have in this situation, now and in the future, and what may be a prudent course of action I might suggest to my father to prevent future litigation between my siblings and I over this property? Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">