• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they raise my rent with only 5 days notice??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MissMelissa24

I've been month-to-month for about 3 months now, and the apartment complex was recently bought. I returned home yesterday to find a letter from the new owners in my mailbox, it was postmarked 9/25. It was a notice that my rent was increasing, and if I signed for 6 months it would only increase from $530 to $550, beginning with the October rent, and that if they didn't hear from me by 9/28 that they'd assume I was going to continue to go month-to-month and that they will expect payment of $575 beginning with the October rent ($550 rent plus $25 "fee"" for going month-to-month). THE LETTER WAS POSTMARKED 9/25!!! Interestingly enough, they dated the letter itself 8/30, however they obviously didn't get it in the mail by then!

I paid the $575, and am relocating anyway and will probably be there no more then 2 months longer, but if they were in the wrong I want to ask them to credit me for my November rent, as that amount would help with my move, as small as it is! I live in Sacramento, California right now, I know laws are different everywhere.

Thanks!

T

Tracey

Raising the monthly rent terminates the old agreement and offers to enter into a new agreement under the new rental rate. Terminating a month-to-month rental requires 30 days notice. The postmark is the key. Good thing you saved the envelope! Send them a letter saying their rent increase is illegal because of insufficient notice. The new rent rate can't take effect until 11/1. Inform them you'll deduct the amount you overpaid this month from Nov. rent. Then give them your move out date. Also, the 'fee' is disguised rent & is refundable to you (prorated per diem) if they re-rent the apt before the end of Nov.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">