• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they really forage through my banking info?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luvalot

I am trying to get into an apartment. I was given a verbal approval, the apartment number, and the okay to turn on the necessary utilities. I have paid a total of 1800 dollars on this apartment and now after all of this, the day before my move in I am told that I must present all of my banking information, including canceled checks and detailed statements. Isn't this an invasion of privacy? They have proof of employment, income, and everything else already ... now after a verbal okay and the number and move in date given they are now demanding this, as I went to pick up my keys and pay the final 700 dollars toward move-in. They took my money, but, no keys, not until they forage through my account information. CAN THEY DO THIS?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by luvalot:
I am trying to get into an apartment. I was given a verbal approval, the apartment number, and the okay to turn on the necessary utilities. I have paid a total of 1800 dollars on this apartment and now after all of this, the day before my move in I am told that I must present all of my banking information, including canceled checks and detailed statements. Isn't this an invasion of privacy? They have proof of employment, income, and everything else already ... now after a verbal okay and the number and move in date given they are now demanding this, as I went to pick up my keys and pay the final 700 dollars toward move-in. They took my money, but, no keys, not until they forage through my account information. CAN THEY DO THIS?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They can even ask for copies of your tax returns, a current financial statement, written references, do a credit check etc. but should have requested this info at the time of application and not at this late date. If they took your deposit and first months rent money and both parties have signed a written lease agreement, then they must give you the keys or be in default.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">