• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we force a sale of a RE corp?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MB2

What is the name of your state? New York My 2 brothers and I recently inherited 50% of the stock in a real estate corporation. The corp has 11 individual houses on 1 deed. The other 50% shareholder does not want to buy or sell, so we are stuck holding stock which is proving difficult to sell at the price we would like to get. Can we use a partition lawsuit to force the corporation to sell the property in it's entirety, or does that procedure only apply to individuals who own real estate together, not shareholders of RE corporations?

HomeGuru

MB2 said:
What is the name of your state? New York My 2 brothers and I recently inherited 50% of the stock in a real estate corporation. The corp has 11 individual houses on 1 deed. The other 50% shareholder does not want to buy or sell, so we are stuck holding stock which is proving difficult to sell at the price we would like to get. Can we use a partition lawsuit to force the corporation to sell the property in it's entirety, or does that procedure only apply to individuals who own real estate together, not shareholders of RE corporations?
**A: the lawsuit would not be a real estate partition but civil litigation against the other stockholders in the corporation. This is a complicated and complex matter that requires a good attorney. Please hire one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">