• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancelled Lease Before Effective Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TracyParamedic

Ok, I was going to rent an apt. I gave 450. security deposit and signed a monthly lease which was to be effective on July 1st 2000. I was eager to move and did not fully inspect the apt. ( my fault) later after signing the lease and getting keys I confronted the landlord regarding the tiny entrance into the shower (can not be up to code if there is such a thing). He stated and I quote: "If it doesn't sute you I will give you your money back this apt. is easy to rent" end quote. I wrote to him cancelling the lease and now he refused to give me back my money. I cancelled the lease on June 20th. Can I sue him in small claims court now for my money? please help ASAP also: this L told me on the phone he had multiple people interested however they did not pass the credit check.. HE DIDNT even do a credit check on me... Isn't that discrimination? ps. this is in PA

[This message has been edited by TracyParamedic (edited July 03, 2000).]

ALawyer

What counts is the lease and not what he said, but sue him in small claims court as you may win.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TracyParamedic:
Ok, I was going to rent an apt. I gave 450. security deposit and signed a monthly lease which was to be effective on July 1st 2000. I was eager to move and did not fully inspect the apt. ( my fault) later after signing the lease and getting keys I confronted the landlord regarding the tiny entrance into the shower (can not be up to code if there is such a thing). He stated and I quote: "If it doesn't sute you I will give you your money back this apt. is easy to rent" end quote. I wrote to him cancelling the lease and now he refused to give me back my money. I cancelled the lease on June 20th. Can I sue him in small claims court now for my money? please help ASAP also: this L told me on the phone he had multiple people interested however they did not pass the credit check.. HE DIDNT even do a credit check on me... Isn't that discrimination? ps. this is in PA

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The credit check issue may be reverse discrimination, but hey it was to your benefit.

On the issue of the narrow entrance to the shower, the condition may be a code violation. Measure the width of the entrance, find out the age of the property and check with your local building department. If there is a glass shower door, check to see if the glass is safety glass. Safety glass is required today but may not have been at the time of construction. Also check to see if the door swings in or out. If it swings in, this condition is not as safe in the event of an emergency. Even if the small entrance into the shower is to code, you may still have an out if you physically have a hard time going in and out of the shower due to your size.

Look for other noncompliance conditions that would give you an out. Are there required smoke detectors present and in operating condition. Did the Landlord give you a lead paint notice and EPA brochure?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">