• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can't find reciept Dec 99 rent we are accused of not paying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

starnote

my landlords in the mobile home park i rent from are accusing me of not paying rent last december of 1999! they are saying that they accidently credited our account with another tenants check. they say we have to pay $550. within 10 days or move out. My boyfriend is the owner of the mobile home and he is risking losing it if evicted from park. we have no place or means to move the house right away. we paid the rent - but we paid by money order because my bank account was frozen at the time due to the company i had worked for for 3 years unexpectedly went out of business and my 2 last pay checks bounced against my account. i had to buy a money order. with all of the stress i was under at the time of the hardship i misplaced the reciept and can't locate it anywhere. the new managers that recently took over the park posted a notice that we had to pay it unless we could prove we already had paid by giving them a copy of the reciept. i always pay our space rent on time - my boyfriend has lived here for 5 years and always has paid on time. it seems to me that if there was any question about our account they would have certainly notified us sooner than 7 mths later. i have paid every month since dec also and never once has anyone said we owed money. today i got a notice to pay rent or surrender premises. the notice says the amount of 550.53 is now due and owing from July 1, 2000, plus late fees of 5.00 per day excluding saturdays and sundays within 10 days of date of this notice or surrender the premises. we took the notice and went and talked to the managers again and showed them the receipt for july's rent and they said this notice is for dec's rent! please help - we don't know what to do. no cash for an attorney and yet feel as though since we know we paid it - why should we pay it again? how can we fight this? is there a statute of limitation of time to demand proof of rents already paid? certainly there must be something to prevent landlords from doing this on a regular basis to tenants. what a way to rob a hardworking family!!!

please email your advice to [email protected]

Thanks..

Sincerely, "tired of the fighting the good fight" in las vegas, nv

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by starnote:
my landlords in the mobile home park i rent from are accusing me of not paying rent last december of 1999! they are saying that they accidently credited our account with another tenants check. they say we have to pay $550. within 10 days or move out. My boyfriend is the owner of the mobile home and he is risking losing it if evicted from park. we have no place or means to move the house right away. we paid the rent - but we paid by money order because my bank account was frozen at the time due to the company i had worked for for 3 years unexpectedly went out of business and my 2 last pay checks bounced against my account. i had to buy a money order. with all of the stress i was under at the time of the hardship i misplaced the reciept and can't locate it anywhere. the new managers that recently took over the park posted a notice that we had to pay it unless we could prove we already had paid by giving them a copy of the reciept. i always pay our space rent on time - my boyfriend has lived here for 5 years and always has paid on time. it seems to me that if there was any question about our account they would have certainly notified us sooner than 7 mths later. i have paid every month since dec also and never once has anyone said we owed money. today i got a notice to pay rent or surrender premises. the notice says the amount of 550.53 is now due and owing from July 1, 2000, plus late fees of 5.00 per day excluding saturdays and sundays within 10 days of date of this notice or surrender the premises. we took the notice and went and talked to the managers again and showed them the receipt for july's rent and they said this notice is for dec's rent! please help - we don't know what to do. no cash for an attorney and yet feel as though since we know we paid it - why should we pay it again? how can we fight this? is there a statute of limitation of time to demand proof of rents already paid? certainly there must be something to prevent landlords from doing this on a regular basis to tenants. what a way to rob a hardworking family!!!

please email your advice to [email protected]

Thanks..

Sincerely, "tired of the fighting the good fight" in las vegas, nv
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No receipt no evidence and proof of payment. In the court of law, evidence is proof.

N

notalawyer

If you bought the money order from a bank...

Go to the bank and see if they keep receipts that far back. If not, they probably have a way of getting a copy.

If not, ask where you bought the money order and see if there's anything you can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">