• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car towed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stacey absher

My car was towed from my apartment complex for being an inch or 2 over the yellow line. I was told the reason for this is because the complex has been having alot of problems with cars double parking so anyone over the line at all gets towed. I just moved in 3 wks ago, I am told it is in the lease (still need to check) and in the parking lot there are signs that say only "unauthorized vehicles will be towed" I was never made aware that there was a problem in the complex that would cause my car to get towed so easily, no warning, etc. i thought my car was stolen. When I parked my car the one next to me was over the line a little, causing me to do the same. The complex mgr said that she knows this is true because she drove by that night & saw a domino effect of cars parked that way. She also said she knows this is not my fault, knows that this is unfair, knows that I had to park like that, but still cannot waive the $105 because if she did she could be sued by the FHA for the 30 cars that were towed last week that had to pay the fine, after towing 30 cars in 1 week I think something should have been distributed notifying the residents of a problem. The complex paid the $ upfront & now I have a $105 balance with them-the mgr is acting like she is doing me a huge favor by doing it that way but I don't feel I should have to pay at all. Any advice about what my legal rights are in this situation would be much appreciated.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stacey absher:
My car was towed from my apartment complex for being an inch or 2 over the yellow line. I was told the reason for this is because the complex has been having alot of problems with cars double parking so anyone over the line at all gets towed. I just moved in 3 wks ago, I am told it is in the lease (still need to check) and in the parking lot there are signs that say only "unauthorized vehicles will be towed" I was never made aware that there was a problem in the complex that would cause my car to get towed so easily, no warning, etc. i thought my car was stolen. When I parked my car the one next to me was over the line a little, causing me to do the same. The complex mgr said that she knows this is true because she drove by that night & saw a domino effect of cars parked that way. She also said she knows this is not my fault, knows that this is unfair, knows that I had to park like that, but still cannot waive the $105 because if she did she could be sued by the FHA for the 30 cars that were towed last week that had to pay the fine, after towing 30 cars in 1 week I think something should have been distributed notifying the residents of a problem. The complex paid the $ upfront & now I have a $105 balance with them-the mgr is acting like she is doing me a huge favor by doing it that way but I don't feel I should have to pay at all. Any advice about what my legal rights are in this situation would be much appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I say that this is rather drastic. Before you agree to pay, make them prove in writing that the way you parked constituted a parking infraction that required towing. If there is no House Rule, condition of the lease etc. that states that the vehicle will be towed for parking out of stall, then refuse to pay the bill. Your vehicle was not unauthorized and was not double parked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">