• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

carpet replacement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mnm

My wife and I have lived in a apartment complex 1br for nearly 3years. We added a small dog 6 months ago and paid a pet deposite along with an extra $10 added to monthly rent. We just moved into another apartment in the same complex and the manager says we need to pay for the replacement of the carpet in our old apartment due to pet damage. Does she have any legal rights do add a carpet replacement cost to my bill? I live in Kansas.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mnm:
My wife and I have lived in a apartment complex 1br for nearly 3years. We added a small dog 6 months ago and paid a pet deposite along with an extra $10 added to monthly rent. We just moved into another apartment in the same complex and the manager says we need to pay for the replacement of the carpet in our old apartment due to pet damage. Does she have any legal rights do add a carpet replacement cost to my bill? I live in Kansas.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did Toto cause any damage to the carpet or is the manager being a witch?

M

mnm

Yes she did have some do some damage. Some urine smell spots can be found.

T

Tracey

Then you have to pay to replace the carpet or to clean it so that the smell completely disappears. Talk to a carpet cleaning company & see if they can help, then offer to pay their fee. If L refuses to let them try to clean, you can argue that her decision to replace the carpets without trying cleaning first was unreasonable, & her damages should be limited to the cost of cleaning. But you need to make this offer BEFORE L has bought new carpet for it to have maximum effectiveness.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

P

peter

Ahhhhhhhurine i just love the smell of urine when i awake every moring....

Do you really think that we as new tenants want to smell your dogs leftovers..HELLLL NO!

If it was up to me I force you to pay 3 months deposit for a dog!

So get used to it, just like shot, food, cages collars, Paying for new carpet, or to refinish hardwood floors you should expect that EVERYWHERE you live from now will charge you for it!

So quit ya bitccchin" and save extra money for the pooch's damage

M

mnm

Hmmm, why am I paying a pet deposite and a extra $10 a month for if I will be responsible for cleaning/replacing carpet after my lease is up? To me it would seem that's the purpose of such deposites not to mention a security deposite to boot.

P

peter

AHHHHH the first signs of a BAD DOG OWNER ..refusal to pay for all the damage caused by the pooch!

You paid a fee and security deposit to HELP cover the damage, not to pay for it ALL!

OK since you need rehabilitaion in the area of Pet responsibilty.....

First PAY whatever the landlord wants The carpet, cleaning minus your deposit just PAY IT.... without complaining!

That will be your first step in rehabilitating yourself to be a responsible pet owner.....

Second you must BUDGET for the loss of any and all security deposits from a DOG....and the possibilty that the landlord might sue you for even more money for damages...

That will be your second step in your Rehab process.

Third if you lie to a landlord about a dog, then you shall learn to be responible enough to know you could face eviction, or to get rid of the DOG!

Thats just a start,then there is the Barking,
at al hours when you are not home, or at night...the complaints form the neighbors..the smell seeping out your apartment, that offends others.

Yes YOU are repsonsible for ALL the damage the little pooch causes.....when you accept that You will become a responsible Dog owner!

M

mnm

AHHHhhh another opinion. I am looking for legal advice not an opinion because that is your perception of the purpose of a security/pet deposit. If you can't state any legal facts or laws keep your opinions to yourself, and please don't make assumptions about another person without knowing someone. That's prejudice.

P

peter

OK Legally the landlord has a right to sue you for EVERY DIME the of the dog damage...

If he cannot re-rent the place because of the damaged carpet or smell...then he has a right to sue you....for the damage and the loss of income too!

Get used to it!

P

peter

OH you could find the landlord another tenant with a dog, Renting the place AS IS... then when THEY move out THEY will get stuck paying for the new carpet

neat kewl!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mnm:
AHHHhhh another opinion. I am looking for legal advice not an opinion because that is your perception of the purpose of a security/pet deposit. If you can't state any legal facts or laws keep your opinions to yourself, and please don't make assumptions about another person without knowing someone. That's prejudice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am an attorney and my legal advice to you is to read the disclaimer at the bottom of this webpage. Titled: Disclaimer- please read carefully.

Notwithstanding, legal advice is a just a mere opinion of the law based on the facts of the particular circumstances as determined by the individual legal counselor that is providing the advice. The interpretation of the law is very subjective and even with the support of statutory and case law, a legal opinion may differ from the final outcome as decided by a mediator, arbitrator, judge and/or jury. Hence, legal advice is only an opinion. Therefore all advice and responses to the posts on this Bulletin Board must be construed and understood to be just opinions of the responders even if the responders are attorneys.

Thank you, case closed, court ajourned.

M

mnm

Thank you for your advice HG. Unfortunetly you're an attorney and to claim "case closed, court ajourned" is not anything you will ever get the chance to say where it actually means anything other than here. So until I decide to stop reading and replying to posts the case remains open.

HomeGuru

Thank you for your advice HG. Unfortunetly you're an attorney and to claim "case closed, court ajourned" is not anything you will ever get the chance to say where it actually means anything other than here. So until I decide to stop reading and replying to posts the case remains open.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mnm, I think you lost your nut in an otherwise hard shell. How ironic in that in your post to Peter you stated..."please don't make assumptions about another person without knowing them. That's prejudice." Yet you did exactly just that in your post to me.

Sometimes I do feel unfortunate that I am an attorney. When that happens I quickly remind myself that I am also an engineer and general contractor.

You are totally incorrect and in error as I do indeed get to say "case closed, court adjourned" outside of this Board. I participate in regulatory and administrative hearings and am a mediator and arbitrator with respect to Landlord/Tenant issues, real estate agents, general contractors, architects and engineers, etc. In binding arbitration, the arbitrator is the judge, jury, King of Road, and Main Event. I would not go so far as to say that the arbitrator is god, but I have heard some attorneys say so.

You can keep your case open as long as you wish because it is not in my venue.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Ya.

SO THERE!

IAAL

Homey, I love your style. You're lucky I'm a guy . . . I just love it when you talk that way. Or I'd have to say, "I want you!, I want you now! Take me you hunk 'o man you!

Ooh, it just gives me goosepimples reading such masculinity and testosterone.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
My response:

Ya.

SO THERE!

IAAL

Homey, I love your style. You're lucky I'm a guy . . . I just love it when you talk that way. Or I'd have to say, "I want you!, I want you now! Take me you hunk 'o man you!

Ooh, it just gives me goosepimples reading such masculinity and testosterone.

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IAAL, I'll accept that pat on the back from you. Thank you kindly. My testicular fortitude was kicking...must be that time of the month. Just consider it our Men At Work.

Excuse me while I pump and flex. Yes, yes I still have that flex-appeal! Help me hold those hot salsa dancing ladies back.

HomeGuru

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">