• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of joint tenants and common

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Withoutmyhome

State of Nevada.
My parents had joint tenancy in common. My father passed away, his name never taken off the joint tenancy until my mother became ill. Once my mother became ill, her grandaughter took it upon herself to remove fathers name and add herself to that joint tenancy.
Question being.... do you have to enter into a new contract or tenancy or can you add a new party to the original contract?

HomeGuru

Withoutmyhome said:
State of Nevada.
My parents had joint tenancy in common.
**A: check again because there is only joint tenancy OR tenancy in common.

My father passed away, his name never taken off the joint tenancy until my mother became ill.

**A: if title was held via joint tenancy, upon death of a joint tenant, the remaining and surviving joint tenants own the property. It is automatic.

Once my mother became ill, her grandaughter took it upon herself to remove fathers name and add herself to that joint tenancy.

**A: this scenario does not make sense unless granddaughter was already listed as a joint tenant, the mother deeded her interest to granddaughter or granddaughter forged name(s) on the deed.

Question being.... do you have to enter into a new contract or tenancy or can you add a new party to the original contract?

**A: a deed is a title instrument and not a contract. Adding a new name to a deed creates a new deed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">