• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changed mind after signing lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmarienthal

I signed a lease for a one year rental and gave the landlord a security deposit of one months rent. After 3 hours, I changed my mind for personal reasons and returned the key and left a written message for the landlord. The lease was to start on Aug. 1. The landlord is attempting to rerent the house. What are my liabilities? I did put a stop payment on the check. Thanks for your advice.
California

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dmarienthal:
I signed a lease for a one year rental and gave the landlord a security deposit of one months rent. After 3 hours, I changed my mind for personal reasons and returned the key and left a written message for the landlord. The lease was to start on Aug. 1. The landlord is attempting to rerent the house. What are my liabilities? I did put a stop payment on the check. Thanks for your advice.
California
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are liable for the rent from Aug 1 to the date that the property is rerented. If the property is rented during July you owe no rent. You may also be liable for costs incurred in rerenting the property such as rental ads, mgt fee etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">