• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chrildren on Title / Quitclaim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssabaes

I'm in California. My mom added my name to her home. She submitted some form that did not require my approval/signature. I don't want to be listed as part owner of her home and have asked her to remove me. She was told that I need to submit a quitclaim deed. Is this correct? It sounds strange because I didn't sign anything to get added, now I need a notarized note to get removed? Also, can I simply put zero on the documentary transfer tax boxes? About six months have elapsed since she did this and the property value has probably remined the same.

FlyingRon

Yes a quit claim would be the safest and most expeditious way for you.

Let me put it this way. Your mother was free to give you a share of her house on her own (this is in effect what she did). She can't take away the share you now own, she needs your permission (you have to give it back to her).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">