• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City is making me add an easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jtc Raleigh

In Raleigh, N.C., The city is widening a road to 4 lanes. They will be taking a perm. easement of 800 sq. Ft. No big deal. However they wrote me a letter May 1 and advised that they needed a temp. drainage easement that will clear cut 7000 sq. ft. of my .7 acre lot!!! this area now is very dence wooded area with 15 to 20 80 foot or higher oak trees, among many other small trees. What are my rights? They are only offering me 6600.00 which is to include relandscaping after the project is complete in 2 years. my 200,000.00 plus dollar home will take a major hit in property value. HELP! they want to or will begin construction soon. This also upsets me a bit being as though I just got a letter May 1. I had gone to every meeting about this but nothing was said and its been over 16 months list the last meeting was held by the city regarding this.

FarmerJ

Have you consulted with several landscaping firms to find out what the cost will be to restore as many of those trees with new as possible ? so you have a comparison ? The new traffic levels on your street may have more of a impact on home values than you realise thats why i suggest to get your own est to see how it compares ? any others on your road that you have spoken with have a same complaint ?

J

Jtc Raleigh

majority of the land is mine all other neighbors are having about 600 sq feet taken from the rear of the lot. Since my property lies in the lowest part I am the one who is getting hit the hardest. The 6600.00 may pay a 6 ft fence and some cypress trees but not anywhere close to loss of property value. If I want 20K cash settlement and the city refuses can the go ahead and begin work on my land?

FarmerJ

Before the city starts I will suggest getting out a camera and start taking pictures ( alot of them ) and get a consultation with a local lawyer .

HomeGuru

In addition, hire:
1. a certified arborist to give you an appraisal of the trees that will be lost and
2. a real estate appraiser to give you an appraisal of the dimunition in land value cause by this easement.
Then armned with the evidence, have your attorney go to the City and negotiate a fair settlement. The settlement may include the rerouting of the temp. drainage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">