• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

city responsibility to commercial property owners?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kdub

Yes, my father owns a transmission repair business in a place zoned commercial property. It is in the city of Vienna,WV. Whenever it rains it floods the alley (actually 22nd st) and it does not permit access into his place of business and the water gets into his garage and makes it an unusable work area as well as ruining tools and parts. I know, that since it is a legal street and he is zoned commercial property, the city has a legal responsibility to take care of this water. I am looking for legal advice, a lawyer who may want to take a look at a possible case, or any information leading to what city responsibilities are in regards to commercial property owners...Thank you in advance to any help or direction.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kdub:
Yes, my father owns a transmission repair business in a place zoned commercial property. It is in the city of Vienna,WV. Whenever it rains it floods the alley (actually 22nd st) and it does not permit access into his place of business and the water gets into his garage and makes it an unusable work area as well as ruining tools and parts. I know, that since it is a legal street and he is zoned commercial property, the city has a legal responsibility to take care of this water. I am looking for legal advice, a lawyer who may want to take a look at a possible case, or any information leading to what city responsibilities are in regards to commercial property owners...Thank you in advance to any help or direction.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The City would be responsible for corrective action no matter what the zoning was. Has the City been contacted yet and sent a demand notice?

K

kdub

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
The City would be responsible for corrective action no matter what the zoning was. Has the City been contacted yet and sent a demand notice? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the city has been aware of this problem for many years, but when have been unable to find a lawyer to take this case. The ciy has heard our complaints and has refused to do anything about it, they have said on a number of occasions thye would but never do. My father has spent thousnads of hours pumping water to keep it from flooding again.He has lost many different things in past flooding, and he can not venture out of town for vacations for fear that it could rain...his quality of life is not real well, because of this...no one wants to take on the city...but it seems to me that it is real cut and dry. If you know of any direction to take in this situation all advice is appreciated...thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">