• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clearing a Mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LLeon7777

When I purchased a house I took a second mortgage from the owner. I quickly paid it off in months. Now is 5 years later and when I went to refinance the house I've discovered that this mortgage was never cleared. There was never a 'Satisfaction of Mortgage' registered. The ex-owner died a year ago and his lawyer does not have the original signed documents. I have proof of payment and the sister of the ex-owner as witness.

New York city and the Title company require that I get the heirs of the man ( 3 grown children) to sign in order to clear this debt. One does not want to sign because 'he does not want to be bothered' What are my choices or alternatives for resolving this. Can I go to court to have the debt cancelled without requiring the heirs to cooperate or do I have to go through a long drawnout process to get them to sign on the dotted line.

I cannot do anything in the mean time.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">