• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clerical Error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pebbles24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
We have a small farm and have been paying real-estate taxes through our mortgage company. After I found a web site for our county auditor, I started looking at the information the auditor uses to asses our property taxes and found that 10 of the 25. acres that should be listed as Woods was listed as cropland. The 10 acres of Woods should be appraised at 1,400 per acre which comes to 14,000 and that is what we should have been paying taxes on per year for that 10 acres. Instead they appraised that 10 acres
at 3,500 per acre which comes to 35,000. So we have paid taxes on 21,000 ( For how long
- I do not know) The auditors web site only goes back 3 years. I took a copy of the information from their web site and showed it to the auditors office and at first they tried to tell me that It was cropland and I encouraged them to look at the satellite mapping on their web site and they did agree it was a clerical error and they would have someone look into it. I now see that they have completely changed the land computations that our
listed for our property. and a Comment is made stating that Per owner request - re-digitalize Parcel Land Use (Clerical Error) Now should we be able to find out how long this error has been going on. When paying taxes through the mortgage company you do not get the information in the mail that you do if you paid real-estate taxes independently, which would have given us a chance to see this error in advance. Also the auditor is to do a site evaluation every so many years and this should have enabled him to have caught this error. Shouldn’t we be reimbursed for all the money we have paid on their clerical error. I think if the error was in their favor we would be paying. Where do we go from here?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
We have a small farm and have been paying real-estate taxes through our mortgage company. After I found a web site for our county auditor, I started looking at the information the auditor uses to asses our property taxes and found that 10 of the 25. acres that should be listed as Woods was listed as cropland. The 10 acres of Woods should be appraised at 1,400 per acre which comes to 14,000 and that is what we should have been paying taxes on per year for that 10 acres. Instead they appraised that 10 acres
at 3,500 per acre which comes to 35,000. So we have paid taxes on 21,000 ( For how long
- I do not know) The auditors web site only goes back 3 years. I took a copy of the information from their web site and showed it to the auditors office and at first they tried to tell me that It was cropland and I encouraged them to look at the satellite mapping on their web site and they did agree it was a clerical error and they would have someone look into it. I now see that they have completely changed the land computations that our
listed for our property. and a Comment is made stating that Per owner request - re-digitalize Parcel Land Use (Clerical Error) Now should we be able to find out how long this error has been going on. When paying taxes through the mortgage company you do not get the information in the mail that you do if you paid real-estate taxes independently, which would have given us a chance to see this error in advance. Also the auditor is to do a site evaluation every so many years and this should have enabled him to have caught this error. Shouldn’t we be reimbursed for all the money we have paid on their clerical error. I think if the error was in their favor we would be paying. Where do we go from here?

**A: you start talking with your real property tax office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">