• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-Ownwers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused121

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
My girlfriend and I bought a condo together...we planned on leaving our husbands and live there...she went back to her husband..I have been living there permanently for 3 months....she says she wants to sell it...I have no where else to live...what are my rights?...BTW...only my name is on the deed.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
My girlfriend and I bought a condo together...we planned on leaving our husbands and live there...she went back to her husband..I have been living there permanently for 3 months....she says she wants to sell it...I have no where else to live...what are my rights?...BTW...only my name is on the deed.
If your name is the only name on the deed then you are the only owner of the property and she has no rights to it at all. How did you buy it together if only you ended up on the deed?

FarmerJ

send her the URL to this thread. Even if you both were divorced the relationship you had with her had the same legal status as total strangers now so what is important is how much of the down payment & cost outside of the loan were paid by each of you ? with out written agreements saying other wise then it would take a reasonable amount of proof to show a court that she would be entitled to a share or being bought out. Since this was just a recent purchase Id say that the property likely has not gained one penny in value and if she did help with closing cost /down payment then maybe you should just plan on doing a slow pay off but if your the only one listed on the deed and mortgage your not obligated to give her anything ( but if she contributed then I guess be grateful you werent married and see if you can do a slow pay off as a way to reduce the odds of having to defend any civil court claim over it.

confused121

Co-Owners

She put my name on the deed hoping it would keep her husband from finding out.....she is 2/3 owner and I am 1/3. Neither I nor my relator friend can find her name anywhere in the county record files where we live. I don't want to make things worse between us but I want to know if I can change the locks? She has stated she wants all her money now....it is impossible for me to do that...I'm at my wits end!

Last edited:

LdiJ

She put my name on the deed hoping it would keep her husband from finding out.....she is 2/3 owner and I am 1/3. Neither I nor my relator friend can find her name anywhere in the county record files where we live. I don't want to make things worse between us but I want to know if I can change the locks? She has stated she wants all her money now....it is impossible for me to do that...I'm at my wits end!
How much money are we talking about? How much money did the two of you put into it?

FlyingRon

Understand the DEED conveys ownership. Putting someone on the deed isn't like a car registration. It transfers ownership to them. If the property was deeded to you solely, then you own it 100%. If it has both names, it's 50-50 unless it says otherwise in the grant.

If you are the sole owner, you have all the rights (and also all the responsibilities) of ownership.
Of course, if she signed the mortgage she still is responsible for that even if she's not still an owner.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
WRONG. She owns NOTHING of the condo if she is not on the deed. Do you have ANY written contract at all?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How much money are we talking about? How much money did the two of you put into it?
Doesn't matter quite frankly. Legally unless there is a written contract regarding any of this, OP owes NOTHING to her ex.

confused121

Co-Owners

I found a promissory note and a deed of trust between she and I....what are the keys things to look for in those documents? I know the promissory note states I owe her a certain amount of money by a certain date, but it seems to me as I read more...it can be done without any penalty.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I found a promissory note and a deed of trust between she and I....what are the keys things to look for in those documents? I know the promissory note states I owe her a certain amount of money by a certain date, but it seems to me as I read more...it can be done without any penalty.
You need an attorney to review everything. On the Truth In Lending paperwork was this loan mentioned?

tranquility

She put my name on the deed hoping it would keep her husband from finding out.....she is 2/3 owner and I am 1/3.
That there might be considered a resulting trust. While the deed is presumptive, if the other party can prove up she owns 2/3, she is a 2/3 owner. However, since this would not have any real world effect until a court were to find so in litigation, the OP currently has a lot of power to deal or not with the property. One possible problem is if she did acts that could be considered a fiduciary breach of the trust.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This brings to mind an old saying, Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

This is going to be a costly legal battle. Was the deed in trust recorded? Was the loan for the real estate recorded? Was it revealed on the TIL statement? is the bank going to move to foreclose on its interest due to fraud?

latigo

She put my name on the deed hoping it would keep her husband from finding out.....she is 2/3 owner and I am 1/3. Neither I nor my relator [sic]friend can find her name anywhere in the county record files where we live. I don't want to make things worse between us but I want to know if I can change the locks? She has stated she wants all her money now....it is impossible for me to do that...I'm at my wits end!
Stop fretting! There is no need to be so frazzled.

It is in deed a complicated set of circumstances. But more difficult for her than you.

Because even if she were able to establish a recognizable claim of legal ownership and thus create an estate in cotenancy (joint ownership), she would be unable to carry out her current demands.

Meaning she could not require you to purchase her interest or force a sale of the property against your wishes without engaging in a complicated and very expensive and time consuming court action for partition. And that could only result in the court ordering that it be sold. (See North Carolina General Statutes Section 46-22 Sale in lieu of partition)

Moreover, before she could have any standing in court to seek a judicial sale of the property she would first need to establish her claim of co-ownership through another expensive, costly and time consuming lawsuit known as an action to quiet title.

And the difficulty in her being able to quiet title in her name as a co-owner is getting around the statute of frauds. Which essentially renders any agreement conveying an interest in land other than a lease for one year or less, unenforceable unless signed by the party to be charged, meaning you.

SO . . . . if your erstwhile friend wants to continue to make your life as miserable as hers with other than hollow threats, she better have a valise full of banded hundred dollar bills that she has no particular use for! And plunk it down on her attorney's desk and watch his mouth first drop and then drool.

I'm not saying that she doesn't have some equitable right to a partial interest in the condo; nor that she couldn't avoid the statute of frauds under a theory of substantial partial performance, or a constructive trust (as trany proposed). But she is a long way from having it legally corroborated.

But suppose she does establish her ownership rights? Like as above, or you agreeing to quitclaim an equal undivided interest. Then she becomes equally liable for the debt load whether or not she chooses to move back in or stay with her husband.

Last edited:

confused121

Co-Owners

The promissory note states "for value received" the undersigned jointly and severally promise to pay "her" or order the sum of $$$.....unless otherwise provided, this note may be prepaid in full or in part at any time without penalty or premium.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">