• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Code for fix broken stuff & deduct from rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

ginavu

Where do I find the code for the tenant to repair broken things in the apartment and deduct from the rent in ILLINOIS? I live in Wheeling, IL and the building that I live in is uncooperate to the city of Wheeling or something like that so I could not find any information about the code. I tried to call around (Northbrook, Wheeling downtown Chicago and also Skokie but since no one claimed that they are Cook county so they kept referring me around. There are lots of things broke in my apartment but since I signed the lease, i have not heard from the landlord again. I left multiple messages with the agent, left notice in my rent check for 50 days. Never heard from them. I want some one to acknowledge that all of the stuff have been broken prior to me moving in but they refused to sign on the letter of acknowledgment. They even refused to let me see my personal file to see what they wrote in there. Is there anyway I could protect my self from having to pay for all of the damages when I move out a year from now (no screen on window -- They charge $70 per screen and there is no screen on the window the day we moved in, missing light bulbs -- $5 per bulb and there are 10 light bulb missing, closet doors were shaved too short for the closet -- could not stayed open or close properly. AC unit front face broke off and the kitchen drawers, and cupboard fill with debris, broken blind so people can just look straight into the apartment -- There is incident where I changed in my bedroom and as soon as I took everything off. I caught a guy standing outside looking in for a free show) Could I just fix everything up and deduct it from the rent or is there a way for me to just get out of the lease now?

[This message has been edited by ginavu (edited July 14, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">