• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting for damages/ lease question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EJD

Tenants rented since 1995, husband got sick and died several months ago, he was only responsible person in family. I had month to month lease signed by widow on june 6th july 18th received notice to vacate Sept.1st
I advised lease ended August 31st. they vacated and left major damages & house full of rubbish. I billed them alot less than actual damages to pay without me having to go to court or if i did have to would seek full damages plus costs. received response that said they should have had till Sept. 6th because of date signed and I should of had a constable change locks not me? They only paid rent thru August. Please advise on Date signed question & constable question.
Property is in PA

P

peter

I think they are trying to pull a fast one on YOU!

If THEY wrote that they would be out by the 31st...then you had the right to change the locks etc... and to charge them for the damage

If YOU wanted them out by the 31st and changed the locks , then they DID have a right to stay till the 6th, and YOU will have to pay for most of the clean up..

P

peter

Also did anyone show up in those 6 days and offer to help you clean up and YOU refused?

E

EJD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter:
Also did anyone show up in those 6 days and offer to help you clean up and YOU refused?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have a letter of intent
to vacate plus women would not meet for 2 scheduled inspections.
She did show up day after & said she had someone coming to clean it out next saturday, i told her it was too late as she has a record of broken promises.

P

peter

You seem to be in the right here.. she gave you a specfic date, and she missed 2 appointments for a final inspection, then she shows up on the 1st and says next saturday the 9th.....not the next day Saturday the 2nd right?

she owes you the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">