• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado squatter's rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hakrjak

Hi Everybody!

I live in Colorado, and own my home - which is located against a vacant field (Huge) that I have never seen anyone in, in the last 2 years, and have no idea who owns it.

When I fenced my property this year, I went ahead and "claimed" 8 feet of this vacant field to add onto my property, by building my fence that far beyond my property line into this vacant field.

If the owner of the field ever gives me any problems, do I have a case to claim squatters rights?

I've heard that in order to qualify for squatters rights you have to improve the land you squat on, so I went ahead and planted a garden on this last 8 feet of property, making sure I've got plenty of plants, etc, and I've trucked in some nice soil.

If I don't qualify for squatters rights, what will be the legal implications of what I've done? Will the owner of the land be able to tell me to do anything other than move my fence back?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Jenny03

Just because you have not seen anyone on the land does not mean that the owner does not care.
It could be the owner is old and in a home.
Just because you want more back yard does not give you the right to take someone else property.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...and even if you DO finally manage to claim this property using adverse possession (which you are not even close to doing now for many reasons), you will have to PAY for it, including back taxes, etc.

FarmerJ

At this point for all you know the owner some time ago could have gone to the trouble of marking the lot lines with metal pins and very likely may know where your property begins , Dont be surprised at some point if you get a letter from the owner or the owners atty telling you to remove the encroachments , Honestly it would be much cleaner even after the fact if you use your county property tax records to learn who owns it and send them a letter asking if you can buy or RENT a 25 ? 50 ft ? strip from them. The worst they can do is say NO or ignore you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">