• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Commercial Real Estate Issues (I am a tenant)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

healing_artist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The commercial building that I have my healing arts practice in for the past 2 years has recently been sold. The new landlord(s) are turning out to be unscrupulous, aggressive, impulsive and deceitful. They have started construction on the building sans a permit, got fined by the city of San Francisco and then stopped midway (leaving the front of the building unsightly) to wait for the appropriate permits to come through. I complained about this, saying that I wanted to have the rent lowered during the time period that they make the building unsightly or possibly cause me loss of income because of their construction. In response, they said that I should remain as a month-to-month tenant while the construction is going on because I might choose to leave if it bothers me enough. I told them that I want to remain and that I want to continue onwards as a primary leased tenant because it is impossible to build one's practice with the uncertainty of a month-to-month situation. All this AFTER my having signed - in good faith - a lease for a 2-year period --- only to find out that they have not signed their part of the lease (after demanding I sign mine in a certain timeframe) and that they still have yet to deposit my 2 mths security check. I have spent a good amount of time, money and energy on my office, making it a very attractive sanctuary for me and my clientele. I am livid about the games they are playing and do not know what to do about this - or what I can do about this. I am an overburdened single parent, do not make a whole lot of money to pay for expensive attorney fees and feel that they have me over a barrel and that they know it. Any advice out there?? Please! Haste is important here as every day is a day closer to potential eviction. Thank you.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The commercial building that I have my healing arts practice in for the past 2 years has recently been sold. The new landlord(s) are turning out to be unscrupulous, aggressive, impulsive and deceitful. They have started construction on the building sans a permit, got fined by the city of San Francisco and then stopped midway (leaving the front of the building unsightly) to wait for the appropriate permits to come through. I complained about this, saying that I wanted to have the rent lowered during the time period that they make the building unsightly or possibly cause me loss of income because of their construction. In response, they said that I should remain as a month-to-month tenant while the construction is going on because I might choose to leave if it bothers me enough. I told them that I want to remain and that I want to continue onwards as a primary leased tenant because it is impossible to build one's practice with the uncertainty of a month-to-month situation. All this AFTER my having signed - in good faith - a lease for a 2-year period --- only to find out that they have not signed their part of the lease (after demanding I sign mine in a certain timeframe) and that they still have yet to deposit my 2 mths security check. I have spent a good amount of time, money and energy on my office, making it a very attractive sanctuary for me and my clientele. I am livid about the games they are playing and do not know what to do about this - or what I can do about this. I am an overburdened single parent, do not make a whole lot of money to pay for expensive attorney fees and feel that they have me over a barrel and that they know it. Any advice out there?? Please! Haste is important here as every day is a day closer to potential eviction. Thank you.
**A: my only advice would be to hire an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">