• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

condo assn. threatening legal action to collect unpaid fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

grok023

What is the name of your state?
ohio

Hi folks,
My wife and I own a condo and we have been having financial hard times since I got laid off last year. I am working now but making much less. In May we did not pay the monthly fee to the condo assn. of 148.00 because we just didn't have it. Since then we have been paying but we haven't had enough to make up that shortfall. After several attempts to talk to a live person at the association office I left a message on Sept 8 or 9 that we expected to be able to pay the shortfall and the late fees for it in a couple weeks. This is because I got a "loan break" on my car payment, which is due on the 20th, so I would use the money to get caught up on the condo fees instead. Then we got a letter from a law firm dated sept. 11 threatening suit if payment is not made within 10 days, also saying we owe another 175.00 for legal expenses. We can't pay this extra expense and I don't think it's right that the assn. is getting threatening about it, since we already told the assn. we were planning to pay. How should we proceed?

JETX

"How should we proceed?"
*** Clearly, you are in the wrong here and the condo association does NOT have to accept less than your compliance. If you don't pay the overdue funds AND the incurred legal fees (as allowed in your condo by-laws or CCR's), the costs will continue to mount and they could likely start foreclosure process for your indebtedness.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">