• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condominium Association is Abusive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MarieA

Does anyone know where one can go to file a complaint against a Condominium Association?? Is there a state agency for this?
The condo association where I lived (26 units), fired the management agent and now handles all maintenance issues themselves. Since then, in my opinion they are out of control with power. Among other issues, I have had water leaks due to outside maintenance needs. However, I write to the condo assoc (as requested) indicating my problems and they do not respond. This has gone on for over a year. They call board meetings 1 hr prior to holding them, and do not inform anyone, so no one can attend. At the annual meeting we are not allowed to talk about individual unit issues, so I could not get an answer there. Plus, the annual meeting was a nightmare. The board made fun of one unit owner, allowed abusive language, and used intimidation tactics.
The only responses I have received do not provide any resolutions just sling insults.

Any ideas?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarieA:
Does anyone know where one can go to file a complaint against a Condominium Association?? Is there a state agency for this?
The condo association where I lived (26 units), fired the management agent and now handles all maintenance issues themselves. Since then, in my opinion they are out of control with power. Among other issues, I have had water leaks due to outside maintenance needs. However, I write to the condo assoc (as requested) indicating my problems and they do not respond. This has gone on for over a year. They call board meetings 1 hr prior to holding them, and do not inform anyone, so no one can attend. At the annual meeting we are not allowed to talk about individual unit issues, so I could not get an answer there. Plus, the annual meeting was a nightmare. The board made fun of one unit owner, allowed abusive language, and used intimidation tactics.
The only responses I have received do not provide any resolutions just sling insults.

Any ideas?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like the Board is out of control and not following correct Association procedures. All owners need to get together and call a special meeting to vote them out following the protocol in the ByLaws of the Association. The Association is a private entity which is not for the most part regulated by governmental agencies. There is a lot that can be done legally within the Association and also through civil action. For more info go to: www.caionline.org
Community Associations Institute

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited August 11, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">