• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conservation land questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Patriot222

Thank you in advance for your response. I am posting this because my grandmother has agreed to will me 170 acres of land that she recently put into conservation. There was a lot of money owed in back taxes from as far back as 4 generations before me and she and her sister who co-own it decided that putting it in conservation was better than to pay the tax. They also received a considerable payment for the land from an organization in the area who deals with this type of thing. I have loved and utilized his land all my life and would love to build a cabin on just a 1 acre plot within the area of conservation someday. I am curious if anybody could give me any info on whether or not this is possible. I live in Massachusetts. I also have 1 acre of farm land that has been willed directly touching that 170 acres so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Thank you for any advice.

Silverplum

Thank you in advance for your response. I am posting this because my grandmother has agreed to will me 170 acres of land that she recently put into conservation. There was a lot of money owed in back taxes from as far back as 4 generations before me and she and her sister who co-own it decided that putting it in conservation was better than to pay the tax. They also received a considerable payment for the land from an organization in the area who deals with this type of thing. I have loved and utilized his land all my life and would love to build a cabin on just a 1 acre plot within the area of conservation someday. I am curious if anybody could give me any info on whether or not this is possible. I live in Massachusetts. I also have 1 acre of farm land that has been willed directly touching that 170 acres so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Thank you for any advice.
That depends upon how her conservation easement is worded, of course. I don't even know if she can will the land to you or anyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">