• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Construction gone Bad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sadie45

I hired a contractor to build a detached garage. While building the foundation he was cited twice for non compliance by the local building inspector. He poured the concrete without a sign off from the building department and now I have a horrible mess. Not only does the foundation not comply with code, the finish work on the concrete is unacceptable. The job has been stopped by the building department and the contractor has been given 30 days to make his work code compliant.

The contractor has offered to re-do the foundation at his cost. I don't trust him to do a better job the second time around. This distrust stems from how he tried to avoid correcting issues pointed out by the building inspector. I want to know if I can legally request my deposit back and have him remove the existing concrete work. I would like to terminate our relationship and find another contractor that I trust.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sadie45:
I hired a contractor to build a detached garage. While building the foundation he was cited twice for non compliance by the local building inspector. He poured the concrete without a sign off from the building department and now I have a horrible mess. Not only does the foundation not comply with code, the finish work on the concrete is unacceptable. The job has been stopped by the building department and the contractor has been given 30 days to make his work code compliant.

The contractor has offered to re-do the foundation at his cost. I don't trust him to do a better job the second time around. This distrust stems from how he tried to avoid correcting issues pointed out by the building inspector. I want to know if I can legally request my deposit back and have him remove the existing concrete work. I would like to terminate our relationship and find another contractor that I trust.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't trust him either. You need to read the construction contract that you signed. Most have a clause that states that if there are defects, the homeowner must allow the contractor the opportunity to fix said defects. Was there a building permit issued, were plans and specs made, were the plans stamped by a licensed architect or engineer and did any architect or engineer observe the construction? If the contractor was blatently negligent and you have or are able to get written proof that he ignored the directives of the building inspector, then that may be grounds to cancel the contract and hire someone else to do the job right.

Is he licensed, does he have experience doing this type of work, and did you check his references and complaint record? Has the building department had problems with this guy in the past? Sounds like he has a problem listening to authority figures. That is just what you need, the building department red flagging your project. Attention all building code inspectors, this is the red light special. "Be on the lookout for any problems at this address by this defiant and apathetic contractor."

S

Sadie45

HomeGuru, Thank you for your reply.

We do not have a written contract. I do have a signed "Proposal" which states the cost to do the work. On the proposal it says "This is a quote the is not a binding contract. A formal written letter of intent to proceed with the work described above followed by a contract between an authorized agent and (contractors name) with terms and conditions of the work is required." The contractor never gave me the letter of intent nor a contract to sign. He started without it. I did not stop him thinking the paper work would be forth coming. I also gave him a deposit. Does this constitute a contract?

The building department issued TWO correction notices and I gave the contractor the opportunity to fix the defects. He did not call for a third inspection but placed the concrete anyway. He told me that he had a structural engineer review the foundation and the engineer would write a letter to the building department stating that the foundation was sound. Thus far the contractor has not produced a letter and upon checking with the building department they have not received a letter either.

After they placed the concrete I noticed reinforcing bar protruding from the footings. I called the building department and they came out and issued a "stop work order". So that is where we sit today.

The plans and specifications were prepared by an architect. The contractor walked the plans through the building department before I could get him a stamped set of drawings (The Architect is a bit miffed about that). The Architect did observe the construction and agreed with the correction notices the building department issued. I have copies of both correction notices and the stop work order which would prove that the contractor ignored the directives of the building inspector.

The contractor is licensed and does have experience with this type of construction. The concrete was placed by a subcontractor who will probably lien my property if not paid or allowed to correct the work.

The contractor was recomended by a friend. It is a new business so there isn't much background to check into.

I feel strongly about not furthering my relationship with this contractor or his concrete sub. I am not confident that they will do a satisfactory job if given another chance. If I don't allow them yet another chance to correct the work, I am afraid I will end up with a lien on my property and a huge concrete slab that is useless. What do you think? Can I fight with a reasonable chance of prevailing?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sadie45:
HomeGuru, Thank you for your reply.

We do not have a written contract. I do have a signed "Proposal" which states the cost to do the work. On the proposal it says "This is a quote the is not a binding contract. A formal written letter of intent to proceed with the work described above followed by a contract between an authorized agent and (contractors name) with terms and conditions of the work is required." The contractor never gave me the letter of intent nor a contract to sign. He started without it. I did not stop him thinking the paper work would be forth coming. I also gave him a deposit. Does this constitute a contract?

The building department issued TWO correction notices and I gave the contractor the opportunity to fix the defects. He did not call for a third inspection but placed the concrete anyway. He told me that he had a structural engineer review the foundation and the engineer would write a letter to the building department stating that the foundation was sound. Thus far the contractor has not produced a letter and upon checking with the building department they have not received a letter either.

After they placed the concrete I noticed reinforcing bar protruding from the footings. I called the building department and they came out and issued a "stop work order". So that is where we sit today.

The plans and specifications were prepared by an architect. The contractor walked the plans through the building department before I could get him a stamped set of drawings (The Architect is a bit miffed about that). The Architect did observe the construction and agreed with the correction notices the building department issued. I have copies of both correction notices and the stop work order which would prove that the contractor ignored the directives of the building inspector.

The contractor is licensed and does have experience with this type of construction. The concrete was placed by a subcontractor who will probably lien my property if not paid or allowed to correct the work.

The contractor was recomended by a friend. It is a new business so there isn't much background to check into.

I feel strongly about not furthering my relationship with this contractor or his concrete sub. I am not confident that they will do a satisfactory job if given another chance. If I don't allow them yet another chance to correct the work, I am afraid I will end up with a lien on my property and a huge concrete slab that is useless. What do you think? Can I fight with a reasonable chance of prevailing?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A proposal is not a contract. The structural engineer inspection letter if you ever do get one, would be bogus. In the required formwork, there are code required and specified placement of the reinforcing steel, lap splices, ties, clearance off the ground, and rebar to concrete cover tolerances at the bottoms, edges and tops, construction, control and expansion joints, blockouts for plumbing, mechanical and electrical conduits etc. The concrete must be specified psi strength as evidenced by concrete truck tickets, slump and compaction tests.
If the concrete is poured without a form and reinforcing steel inspection, the shoddy work may be covered up. Isn't it amazing that you caught the defects rather than the trained professionals such as the general, subcontractor, structural engineer and architect?

In my opinion, you should stay as far away as you can from these people. If a lien is filed, you would prevail and the contractor would not be allowed by the courts to foreclose. This would be based on your proof that the work is
substandard, unacceptable, not to plans and specs and and not to code as evidenced by the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction), and the project architect. I am sure any structural engineer would be able to render a similar opinion if needed.

S

Sadie45

Thanks again HomeGuru

Just for fun and grins I will share what happened today.

While preparing the construction drawings the contractor told me he would rather stick frame the roof structure. He said it would be quicker than ordering trusses. I asked my architect to draw up the stick frame which he did. The framing drawing shows a space left in the center of the span for use as a storage area.

Well, the contractor changed his mind. He called from the office of his supplier and asked me if I felt strongly about stick framing since it was shown on my drawings. (gee, did he forget it was his idea?) He wanted to order trusses instead. I told him I didn't mind using trusses as long as the storage area was maintained as designed. He said no problem.

The trusses arived at my house today. Guess what? They are standard trusses with no storage area in the center.

This contractor can't get anything right!

Stay tuned, we are supposed to be meeting within the next few days. He will be responding to my request for him to remove the concrete, refund my deposit and end our business relationship. I doubt it will be a favorable response. I will share it with you so you can comment.

HomeGuru

Thanks again HomeGuru

Just for fun and grins I will share what happened today.

While preparing the construction drawings the contractor told me he would rather stick frame the roof structure. He said it would be quicker than ordering trusses. I asked my architect to draw up the stick frame which he did. The framing drawing shows a space left in the center of the span for use as a storage area.

Well, the contractor changed his mind. He called from the office of his supplier and asked me if I felt strongly about stick framing since it was shown on my drawings. (gee, did he forget it was his idea?) He wanted to order trusses instead. I told him I didn't mind using trusses as long as the storage area was maintained as designed. He said no problem.

The trusses arived at my house today. Guess what? They are standard trusses with no storage area in the center.

This contractor can't get anything right!

Stay tuned, we are supposed to be meeting within the next few days. He will be responding to my request for him to remove the concrete, refund my deposit and end our business relationship. I doubt it will be a favorable response. I will share it with you so you can comment.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew you could not truss him. Keep providing updates and the concrete facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">