• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor doesn't seem interested in finishing the job now that he has his money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kierdi

I am searching for information for a friend who in January entered into contract with a general contractor. The start date was to be 1/21/00 and date of completion was to be approximately 4/22/00. It is now the middle of October and the work is nowhere near complete. The contractor will occasionally show up about once per month to do a few seemingly insincere tasks to satisfy that he had been there and done some work. He rarely returns a phone call and when he does it would seem that he is bothered that he is being sought after. He recently opened a new buissness which I'm sure must take alot of his attention. However the contract which is signed by him (the contractor) and the owners of the home seems to be meaningless. My Freinds are at their wits end and feel as though they have been taken advantage of but know absolutely nothing of what actions they are entitled to take. Any imput on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Kierdi

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kierdi:
I am searching for information for a friend who in January entered into contract with a general contractor. The start date was to be 1/21/00 and date of completion was to be approximately 4/22/00. It is now the middle of October and the work is nowhere near complete. The contractor will occasionally show up about once per month to do a few seemingly insincere tasks to satisfy that he had been there and done some work. He rarely returns a phone call and when he does it would seem that he is bothered that he is being sought after. He recently opened a new buissness which I'm sure must take alot of his attention. However the contract which is signed by him (the contractor) and the owners of the home seems to be meaningless. My Freinds are at their wits end and feel as though they have been taken advantage of but know absolutely nothing of what actions they are entitled to take. Any imput on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check the contract for any penalties for noncompletion by the deadline. If none, then there is no hammer to nail this guy with. Have your friend contact the Contractors License Board to file a complaint.

T

Tracey

1. File a claim against the contractor's bond with the state licensing board.

2. Hire someone else to finish the work & sue the contractor for the extra cost.

3. File theft charges against the contractor IF you think he took any of your money intending not to finish the work. One contractor in Washington got jail time for taking money when he had old jobs piled up & was broke & didn't do much work.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">