• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CONTROLLED HEAT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

justcoffee

I live in Massachusetts.The complex has 6 apts in it. We have always had our own thermostats. Today the landlord comes to our doors to tell us as of today we do not control our own heat anymore--she does.No notice or warning on this.She will keep the thermostat set at 67 11pm to 6 pm. 70 the other hours, if we get cold we can call her to discuss having it raised. She lives an hour away.Can she just do this without warning? Yes she does pay the heat in the building.What is the temp set by massachusetts habitability codes.I have a month to month lease and it's not easy to just move. thank you
Cheryl

------------------

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by justcoffee:
I live in Massachusetts.The complex has 6 apts in it. We have always had our own thermostats. Today the landlord comes to our doors to tell us as of today we do not control our own heat anymore--she does.No notice or warning on this.She will keep the thermostat set at 67 11pm to 6 pm. 70 the other hours, if we get cold we can call her to discuss having it raised. She lives an hour away.Can she just do this without warning? Yes she does pay the heat in the building.What is the temp set by massachusetts habitability codes.I have a month to month lease and it's not easy to just move. thank you
Cheryl

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

L is wrong. Each tenant needs to be able to control their own temperature for their own leased space.

T

Tracey

Hey, you all hit the tenant jackpot!
You get to report L AND collect 3 months' rent. You should all club up & sue her together. You can also just apply for a restraining order requiring her to give you back control of the thermostats. L will probably terminate the leases, in which case you'll get to sue her for retaliatory eviction.

Chapter 186: Section 14. Wrongful acts of lessor or landlord of buildings or premises occupied for dwelling or residential purposes; criminal penalties; civil remedies; jurisdiction; sections applicable to acts of reprisal, waiver in leases or rental agreements prohibited.

Section 14. Any lessor or landlord of any building or part thereof occupied for dwelling purposes, other than a room or rooms in a hotel, . . . who is required by law or by the express or implied terms of any contract or lease or tenancy at will to furnish . . . heat . . . to any occupant of such building or part thereof, who willfully or intentionally fails to furnish such . . . heat . . . at any time when the same is necessary to the proper or customary use of such building or part thereof,
or any lessor or landlord who directly or indirectly interferes with the furnishing by another of such utilities or services,
or who transfers the responsibility for payment for any utility services to the occupant without his knowledge or consent, or any lessor or landlord who directly
or indirectly interferes with the quiet enjoyment of any residential premises by the occupant . . .
shall be punished by a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than three hundred dollars, or by imprisonment for not more than six months. Any person who commits any act in violation of this section shall also be liable for actual and consequential damages or three month's rent, whichever is greater, and the costs of the action, including a reasonable attorney's fee, all of which may be applied in setoff to or in recoupment against any claim for rent owed or owing. The superior and district courts shall have jurisdiction in equity to restrain violations of this section. The provisions of section eighteen of chapter one hundred and eighty-six and section two A of chapter two hundred and thirty-nine shall apply to any act taken as a reprisal against any person for reporting or proceeding against violations of this section. Any waiver of this provision in any lease or other rental agreement . . . shall be void and unenforceable.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">