• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Covenant question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DukeArgos

North Carolina

Our neighborhood wishes to make hoa dues mandatory.

The covenants currently don't say anything about paying hoa dues.

Our covenants read that they may be altered if the majority agree to change them. I interpret this to mean that if 51% sign a revised copy of the covenants and we notorize the signatures when they sign -- that we can then record the covenants with the county.

My question is -- are the mandatory dues then enforcable? Assuming of course we did the wording correctly...

It seems it would be enforceable with the 51% that signed --

But -- What about the 49% that did not sign? Do they have to then pay the hoa dues or do we have to wait until they sell their house and then the new covenants go into effect for the new owners?

We had over 90% pay their dues last year which is the highest ever!!! we just figured we better strike while we have such positive support.

thanks for the help!!!

HomeGuru

Since the CC&R's are recorded on title, a legal majority vote could enact a HOA "law" that requires all homeowners to pay HOA dues commencing on an approved date. This date would apply to ALL owners and not only new ones.
The requirement for the payment of the dues would be voted upon by BOD/officers or homeowner quorum and reelected in the meeting minutes. No further notary and recording of documents would be needed.

DukeArgos

HomeGuru,

thanks for replying!!!

If i understand you correctly -- you are saying that we could have an agenda item at one of our public meetings providing advance notice to all homeowners that we plan to discuss and request approval from the HOA BOD (and/or the homeowner members?) to require all homeowners to pay their dues?

if we had a HOA BOD quorum (and/or a homeowner quorum?) at the meeting and a vote was taken by the HOA BOD (and/or the homeowners?) and approved to require all homeowners to pay their dues that it would then be "law" for all homeowners to pay?

If i understood you correctly -- we don't need to change the covenants to reflect the existence of an HOA and/or the necessity to pay the HOA dues...

thanks again

HomeGuru

You are correct in general but you need an attorney to review your specifc CC&R's to be sure that everything is in order and that full compliance with State laws are met with respect to these issues.

DukeArgos

HomeGuru,

thanks again for the insight!!!

We have actually spoken to an attorney and he told us we needed to make a revision to the current covenants. We do currently have articles of incorporation for the HOA and also signed HOA by-laws that state as one of the responsibilities of the BOD is:

To foreclose any unpaid dues or assessments, and liens resulting therefrom, against any property for which said dues or assessments are not paid within sixty (60) days after due date or to bring an action at law against the member personally obligated to pay the same;

When we asked our attorney about this (this attorney happens to be the same attorney who helped the hoa become incorporated and create the hoa's bylaws 7 years ago -- this was before i lived in the neighborhood) -- he told us that the by-laws are not provided to a purchaser of a house either before or at closing and that because of this, we could not enforce the wording that is contained in our by-laws. He said if the same or similar wording was contained in our covenants -- we could then enforce the payment of the dues.

So -- wouldn't this be the same for an approved decision that was an agenda item at one of our public HOA BOD meetings?

To give you a little info of our neighborhood -- we have 586 homes and our ANNUAL dues are only $42. Last year we had 527 households pay their dues leaving 59 who did not pay. We even sent 3 nicely worded reminder letters (which eats into our tiny budget). The reminder letters were actually sent to 200+ and we whittled them down to only the 59 who would not pay. We have 45+ households that are active on our numerous committees and advisory groups (this participation has increased to this level just over the past year and a half). We don't have a pool or clubhouse so the dues mainly pay for the landscaping of the entranceways, monthly newsletter distribution, web site, and a couple of adult and youth social events. Since the participation has so greatly increased -- is the reason for the questions pertaining to mandatory payment of dues. Volunteers want to do things, but we don't have the additional money to support all that they want to do. The 59 who didn't pay last year represents $2478. We hold family social events that cost less than $300 so that ends up being a lot that we have to do without... We thought that choosing to raise the dues because of nonpayment by some of the neighbors was a poor desision. We needed to address the problem directly and see what could be done...

thanks again!!!

HomeGuru

DukeArgos said:
HomeGuru,

thanks again for the insight!!!

We have actually spoken to an attorney and he told us we needed to make a revision to the current covenants. We do currently have articles of incorporation for the HOA and also signed HOA by-laws that state as one of the responsibilities of the BOD is:

To foreclose any unpaid dues or assessments, and liens resulting therefrom, against any property for which said dues or assessments are not paid within sixty (60) days after due date or to bring an action at law against the member personally obligated to pay the same;
**my response: here is what seems odd. THe HOA By-Laws give the BOD the responsibility to foreclose due to nonpayment of HOA dues, yet such dues are unenforceable? I would ask the attorney why give the power to the BOD when such collection cannot be enforced. In my opinion, the CC&R's were not written corectly and were incomplete. Is this attorney versed in real estate HOA laws?

When we asked our attorney about this (this attorney happens to be the same attorney who helped the hoa become incorporated and create the hoa's bylaws 7 years ago -- this was before i lived in the neighborhood) -- he told us that the by-laws are not provided to a purchaser of a house either before or at closing and that because of this, we could not enforce the wording that is contained in our by-laws.
** My response: Why not? The full and complete recorded CC&R's should be given to a prospective Buyer to review
(some mortgage lenders review same as a condition for financing). And I am sure the Seller should give the document set to the Buyer as part of terms and conditions in the purchase contract and seller disclosure. In addition, as back up, it should be set policy that every new homeowner recieve these documents soon after closing. Lastly, if the CC&R's are recorded, the HOA has the protection of enforcement because any Buyer must automatically accept the CC&R's whether thay like it or not. In other words, even if the HOA did not give a new Buyer the By-Laws, said By-Laws should still be enforceable. Unless there was some omission or defect in the drafting of the documents by the attorney.

He said if the same or similar wording was contained in our covenants -- we could then enforce the payment of the dues.
** my response: then the question you ask is, how did this happen as the HOA should be able to enforce any and all?
So -- wouldn't this be the same for an approved decision that was an agenda item at one of our public HOA BOD meetings?
** my response: I cannot answer this without reviewing the legal documents. Ask the attorney.

To give you a little info of our neighborhood -- we have 586 homes and our ANNUAL dues are only $42. Last year we had 527 households pay their dues leaving 59 who did not pay. We even sent 3 nicely worded reminder letters (which eats into our tiny budget). The reminder letters were actually sent to 200+ and we whittled them down to only the 59 who would not pay. We have 45+ households that are active on our numerous committees and advisory groups (this participation has increased to this level just over the past year and a half). We don't have a pool or clubhouse so the dues mainly pay for the landscaping of the entranceways, monthly newsletter distribution, web site, and a couple of adult and youth social events. Since the participation has so greatly increased -- is the reason for the questions pertaining to mandatory payment of dues. Volunteers want to do things, but we don't have the additional money to support all that they want to do. The 59 who didn't pay last year represents $2478. We hold family social events that cost less than $300 so that ends up being a lot that we have to do without... We thought that choosing to raise the dues because of nonpayment by some of the neighbors was a poor desision. We needed to address the problem directly and see what could be done...

thanks again!!!
**My response: You are correct and I understand the situation. Homeowners that pay dues should not be penalized and should not subsidize the other owners that refuse to pay.
The HOA needs teeth and the power to file liens and foreclose for nonpayment of HOA dues.

DukeArgos

HomeGuru,

You asked:

Is this attorney versed in real estate HOA laws?
answer: he is supposed to be, other than his history of working with our BOD about 7 years ago and him saying he is -- how can i know for sure? Sometimes i wonder... (hehe, this really isn't funny though...)

My question(s):

As I understand it -- the CC&R's and the by-laws are two different documents. So -- If the CC&R's don't explicitly identify the HOA, is an HOA (and it's by-laws) assumed or implied to exist due to existance of CC&R's?

The reason I ask -- is if this is true, is this why our attorney put the wording into our by-laws that "To foreclose any unpaid dues or assessments.......". I know this has confused a lot of the previous BOD and we can't seem to get an easy to understand answer from our attorney. He just tells us that according to the current wording of the CC&R's (which say nothing about dues and he tells us the hoa by-laws mean nothing with regard to the REQUIREMENT of paying dues) we can't enforce the payment of hoa dues. If you can enlighten me, I'd be most appreciative!!!

Also as i understand it -- CC&R's "run with the land" and new purchasers are made aware of CC&R's because the existence of CC&R's are identified on their deed... So -- If an HOA is assumed to exist (according to above question) -- in what manner are the by-laws supposed to get into the hands of potential and/or new purchasers? Is this the responsibility of the HOA, real estate agent, sellers, closing attorney, or all of them?

I'm so confused... :confused: :confused:

thanks for listening...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">