• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealing with Home inheretence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Papote

I am not sure if this goes here but I'll ask anyways.
I have been living in my grandmother's house for the past 20 years. The house has been paid off for years. During that time, I have taken care of her and the house until she got bedridden. My aunt had to take her in to her house to take care of here for the past 7 years. She recently passed and I am unsure what to expect from her 4 heirs. She never left a will or anything.

I am planning to have a meeting with them on whether they'll allow me to stay in the house by either purchasing their shares, purchase the home, or asking for rent.

I just want some advice on my options and what I can legally do.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Frankly, you could be told anything from get the heck out of our house to we're giving it to you. But note, just because you took care of the old lady gives you NO RIGHTS to the house or anything else.

Papote

I live in PR; a US territory.
I was never asked to pay rent. My grandmother never allowed it. Ive always did all maintenance and repairs to the house without ever asking for any help. I highly doubt my uncles will leave me the house and I don't expect to stay for free, just wanted to know if I could buy it from them or start moving out.

John Se

I live in PR; a US territory.
I was never asked to pay rent. My grandmother never allowed it. Ive always did all maintenance and repairs to the house without ever asking for any help. I highly doubt my uncles will leave me the house and I don't expect to stay for free, just wanted to know if I could buy it from them or start moving out.
Research the market value, make them an offer, they may even carry back the mortgage. Assume they will research the market value and will either want cash or a stream of payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">