• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death of Owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

ThuggClay

I live in Pennsylvania. May dad, who was the owner of a house, died six years ago. I have the same name as my deceased father. My family pretty much went their own ways after his death and therefore I have very little contact with them. I have been getting real estate tax bills for a long time. Now I have collection agencies calling me and sending late notices demanding the money for these taxes.

My questions are:

1. Can they make me pay for something that I do not own? (my dad's name was the only one on the deed)

2. Can I make these collection calls stop?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

ThuggClay said:
I live in Pennsylvania. May dad, who was the owner of a house, died six years ago. I have the same name as my deceased father. My family pretty much went their own ways after his death and therefore I have very little contact with them. I have been getting real estate tax bills for a long time. Now I have collection agencies calling me and sending late notices demanding the money for these taxes.

My questions are:

1. Can they make me pay for something that I do not own? (my dad's name was the only one on the deed)
**A: no, but what happened with the property ie. Probate?
2. Can I make these collection calls stop?
**A: yes but who is calling you; the tax office or a contracted third party collection agency?

T

ThuggClay

Thanks for the info HomeGuru. The house was abandened after my fathers death. I haven't a clue on what's going on with it. The collection agency is 3rd party also.

One more question: Do you think I should try to get a copy of the death certificate and send it to someone (not sure who)?

Thanks again for the helpful info.

FarmerJ

clay any whom you do send a copy of the death certificate to can verify it them self if they need to wich may end alot of the calls .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">