• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deed on house in two names

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rhode316

I live in Texas. I bought a house before I was married. The deed is in both of our names. Now we are divorced. We have been divorced for one year. We have been separated for three years. We are no longer in contact. How do I get the other name off of the deed?
-Jason

R

rhode316

We married after we got the house, so the house wasn't part of the divorce.

FarmerJ

You could try to have a determination made as to the equity in the house for the time you were together or just the married time and offer something $ to the other party to let you buy them out Is one approach .

HomeGuru

rhode316 said:
We married after we got the house, so the house wasn't part of the divorce.
**A: it does not matter because the deed is in both names. So the divorce settlement should have addressed this jointly owned property. So someone messed up at that time. If there is a mortgage you need to refinance the mortgage and pay her her share of equity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">