• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deer lease improvements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajfarms1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

In 2010 I left a deer lease I had been on for 6 years. I left because land owner went up on price so I chose to vacate. Me and the landowner had a dispute over electric bill so landowner took me to small claims court. In his suit he also asked the judge for money to remove a nice permanent patio structure which I left behind (when shown pics judge even asked why he wanted to remove it) in the end judge sided with landowner and charged me 600 dollars to remove the structure. I recently googled the old campsite and not only structure still there new hunters are using it! Can I sue him for the improvement I made and not to mention his contempt for not tearing down? Thanks to all

justalayman

Nope. The owners damages were the cost of removal. Whether he moves it now or in the future his damages are still there. It wouldn't be contempt for not removing it as he wasnt ordered to remove it therefor not removing it wouldn't be contempt.

Additionally (although I haven't checked) it's likely beyond the statute of limitations to act now.

ajfarms1

How can a structure that is adding value and benefitting the landowner be considered damages? also justalayman could you please lookup the statute of limits on that for me?

ajfarms1

Also the landowner had no basis for the "damages" as he simply asked the judge for 600 dollars and got it, no invoices and no estimates, NOTHING. This was in west texas in what I called kangaroo court because landowner was local and I was from out of their territory, hell the judge and landowner referring to adjacent landowners by first name. It all was a crooked setup but what can a man do?

justalayman

How can a structure that is adding value and benefitting the landowner be considered damages? also justalayman could you please lookup the statute of limits on that for me?
The damages are him having to remove them; not anything else.

A claim of unjust enrichment has a 2 year limit.

justalayman

Also the landowner had no basis for the "damages" as he simply asked the judge for 600 dollars and got it, no invoices and no estimates, NOTHING. This was in west texas in what I called kangaroo court because landowner was local and I was from out of their territory, hell the judge and landowner referring to adjacent landowners by first name. It all was a crooked setup but what can a man do?
Did you object to the claim of $600? Did you provide evidence that would show his claim excessive?

ajfarms1

You have some serious mental issues if this situation bothers you this much. I think the land owner got lucky and terminated his dealings with you before you Deer Hunter on him.
Maybe so justalayman but you may have serious reader comprehension problems because I stated in first post that I left the lease NOT the landowner. And your a senior member here? Must be age related! I wonder what age CRS begins? CRS AKA Cant remember sh#t

justalayman

Maybe so justalayman but you may have serious reader comprehension problems because I stated in first post that I left the lease NOT the landowner. And your a senior member here? Must be age related! I wonder what age CRS begins? CRS AKA Cant remember sh#t
Spin it anyway you want but the fact is he refused to
Renew the lease as it was. You have nothing to quit since he did not offer you the same lease you had become accustomed to. You refused to accept the new lease offered but make no mistake; you did not leave the lease.

ajfarms1

Spin it anyway you want but the fact is he refused to
Renew the lease as it was. You have nothing to quit since he did not offer you the same lease you had become accustomed to. You refused to accept the new lease offered but make no mistake; you did not leave the lease.[/QU

The simple version is me and my family took great care of this mans property(not conditions of lease) by improving the quality of the deer by proper management and feeding. But like most with money his greed caused him raise our lease price after us improving things there. That does happen in that business but I thought he was more honorable but instead money is his only real drive. My bad for not getting more details in writing and a longer lease contract. Your right I didn't leave the lease but I chose not to renew. There was no termination only a greedy old bast#rd with no regard for people who do the right thing and believe that there is still some decency out there. judging by your responses you are in the same class as that man.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">