• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

desperate to get out of lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

csatsa

I hope someone can help us. We signed a lease on an apartment in May, and since then have had NOTHING but problems. The property has been sold and the new landlords have stated these are "our" problems, and they just provide housing, and that is it. The music (the bass) from the apartment next door is unbearable, so loud it wakes our children up in the middle of the night. The smell of marijuana in our hallway is prevalant on a regular basis...even the kids have noticed it! We have called the police twice, and even though they have increased their patrols, and cited the neighbors once for noise, the management still won't address it. Kids play constantly in the hallway (it's enclosed), run up and down the stairs, and block the entrances to the building and it sounds like an army marching through there. We wait for months for repairs, and now we have a horrible roach problem. They sprayed last week, it's worse than ever, and they refuse to have anyone come out before NEXT Wednesday. Someone broke our balcony to steal one of our bikes (we live on the second floor!)...we got it back, but it even took the management three days to come and fix a broken balcony, a sure safety hazard, especially since we have three children. I have complained over and over, called the police, and finally hit the end of my rope. This morning, they refused to let us out of our lease, and unfortunately, we can't afford the "buy-out" policy attached to it (a month's rent, on top of a month's rent). We really need help to get out of this place. Last week my 8-year old son was beaten up by six other children with sticks, and they locked him in the tennis court and wouldn't let him come home. The landlord's response...well did you call the police? The complex is supposed to have a no violence policy. Just a week after we moved in, my daughter was beaten up by three teenage girls, (my daughter is just nine), and we did call the police, and nothing was done to the older girls. Can anyone help us? Do we have just cause to break our lease? Thanks......

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by csatsa:
I hope someone can help us. We signed a lease on an apartment in May, and since then have had NOTHING but problems. The property has been sold and the new landlords have stated these are "our" problems, and they just provide housing, and that is it. The music (the bass) from the apartment next door is unbearable, so loud it wakes our children up in the middle of the night. The smell of marijuana in our hallway is prevalant on a regular basis...even the kids have noticed it! We have called the police twice, and even though they have increased their patrols, and cited the neighbors once for noise, the management still won't address it. Kids play constantly in the hallway (it's enclosed), run up and down the stairs, and block the entrances to the building and it sounds like an army marching through there. We wait for months for repairs, and now we have a horrible roach problem. They sprayed last week, it's worse than ever, and they refuse to have anyone come out before NEXT Wednesday. Someone broke our balcony to steal one of our bikes (we live on the second floor!)...we got it back, but it even took the management three days to come and fix a broken balcony, a sure safety hazard, especially since we have three children. I have complained over and over, called the police, and finally hit the end of my rope. This morning, they refused to let us out of our lease, and unfortunately, we can't afford the "buy-out" policy attached to it (a month's rent, on top of a month's rent). We really need help to get out of this place. Last week my 8-year old son was beaten up by six other children with sticks, and they locked him in the tennis court and wouldn't let him come home. The landlord's response...well did you call the police? The complex is supposed to have a no violence policy. Just a week after we moved in, my daughter was beaten up by three teenage girls, (my daughter is just nine), and we did call the police, and nothing was done to the older girls. Can anyone help us? Do we have just cause to break our lease? Thanks......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on your problems, you do have just cause in breaking your lease because the landlord has failed to allow/maintain to you the right to quiet enjoyment of the property. Send a certified letter to L listing all the problems and due to their apathy and negilgence you are forced to move out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">