• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

destruction of property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shoedogg

I recently purchased a lot in Indiana, the lot next to me was also purchased, the owners that bought the other lot decided to start to cut down their trees, now i dont know if they started to do this before or after they got their survey done. but a few weeks later i went to look at my lot, and their survey was done and their lot was staked out, and they had cut down some trees on my lot, today i took another drive over there, and i counted at least 24 trees that they cut down, now i dont want to start off as a bad neighbor and sue them, but is there anything i can do about this?
thank you in advance

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

shoedogg said:
I recently purchased a lot in Indiana, the lot next to me was also purchased, the owners that bought the other lot decided to start to cut down their trees, now i dont know if they started to do this before or after they got their survey done. but a few weeks later i went to look at my lot, and their survey was done and their lot was staked out, and they had cut down some trees on my lot, today i took another drive over there, and i counted at least 24 trees that they cut down, now i dont want to start off as a bad neighbor and sue them, but is there anything i can do about this?
thank you in advance
My response:

Start off as a bad neighbor? Hello !

Who was it that trespassed? Who was it that caused you damages?

Get an estimate of the value of all the trees. Then present a copy of that estimate to your neighbor for immediate payment. If they don't pay, sue them.

By the way, who has the cut trees?

IAAL

S

shoedogg

ty you both for your fast responses,
IAAL, are you talking about what they cut down as the "cut trees" if so, everything they have cut down from both my lot and thiers, they have pilled up on my lot

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

shoedogg said:
IAAL, are you talking about what they cut down as the "cut trees" if so, everything they have cut down from both my lot and thiers, they have pilled up on my lot
My response:

How very nice and considerate of your neighbor to unilaterly decide to use your property for storage space, and to continue to trespass by doing that !

Sue the jerk.

IAAL

JETX

shoedogg said:
Interesting spin.... were the trees cut down for timber (have a value) or to clear the lot (less if any value)?? If for timber, then post "NO TRESPASSING" signs on the lot and make arrangements to remove YOUR trees for sale. If 'scrub', then you can also charge them for the removal.

S

shoedogg

once again, thanks to everyone for posting so quickly, the trees were cut down to clear the lot, i consider that valuable, they were my trees, they do have value to me, they seperated our yards, and when i build i had no intentions of taking any of these trees down, i think i'll take both IAAL and HomeGuru's advice, thanks again for everyone's input

S

shoedogg

Well i just called my realtor, she sold both of the lots (mine and the destructive neighbors). She just informed me that they have decided not to build on the lot and already sold it!! Now where do i go , i cant do anything to the new owners, now i'm thinkin, all the trees that they cut down and placed in my yard, i burn , than i put up no trespassing signs, than plant new trees? now i know this sound slike taking the whimpy way out, but i dont knwo what els eto do know, my realtor is tryingto find their # for me( since they sold the land , they have moved, so may prove to be a bit difficult) , thats the current situationm any thing else happens, i'll post
thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">