• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

developer's liability for selling non-buildable lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sophie600

i bought a lot at an auction last year that is a newly developed subdivision. every lot was sold the day of the auction as a homesite, being able to accomodate atleast a 3-bedroom, 2-bath house. i since have sold my other home and hired a contractor. when the contractor was having the footers dug, he stopped, noticing that at 14ft down he was still hitting very dark brown soil in striations.he consulted a geo-technical engineer who stated that the soil was non-compactible and suggested a solution involving removing dirt, bringing in rock, etc. this solution to make the lot buildable is going to cost me around $15,000. i only paid $18,000 for the lot. do i have any recourse as far as the auction company, since they developed the land, even if they did not know of the poor soil quality. please help!

HomeGuru

sophie600 said:
i bought a lot at an auction last year that is a newly developed subdivision. every lot was sold the day of the auction as a homesite, being able to accomodate atleast a 3-bedroom, 2-bath house. i since have sold my other home and hired a contractor. when the contractor was having the footers dug, he stopped, noticing that at 14ft down he was still hitting very dark brown soil in striations.he consulted a geo-technical engineer who stated that the soil was non-compactible and suggested a solution involving removing dirt, bringing in rock, etc. this solution to make the lot buildable is going to cost me around $15,000. i only paid $18,000 for the lot. do i have any recourse as far as the auction company, since they developed the land, even if they did not know of the poor soil quality. please help!
**A; if the developer and the auction company were on and the same, yes. If the auction company was hired as an agent of the developer, then no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">