• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Development of campsite was not disclosed to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmo140

MA,
I purchased my home on January 25, 2008. I paid $487,500 for it, in what is considered an upscale neighborhood in Carver, Massachusetts.

In March of 2008, I learn that there is a developing campsite on the 1,400 acres near my property. This campsite, I have learned, consists of a approximately 635 tents and RV's, horse stables, a train trolley, 28 cottages, a pool, fishing facilities, mini bike trails, and horse trails. As you see from my description, this is a rather large and comprehensive campsite, and one that will have a negative impact on the value of my property and home. Again, I had no prior knowledge of any of this before I purchased my home.

Before I purchased my home, neither the builders, the sellers realtor, my realtor, or the title insurance company disclosed the development of this campsite to me. A little over a month after I signed the papers to purchase my home, I found out through various outlets in the community, about the campsite that had plans of development well before I had looked at my house or purchased it.

I have come to learn that it was the sellers duty to inform me of the campsite that was in development when I purchased my home.

Thank You,

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Interesting story...

Personally, I'd love to have a campsite as you describe close by.

divgradcurl

I have come to learn that it was the sellers duty to inform me of the campsite that was in development when I purchased my home.
Are you sure about that? If the development was public, they might not have had a duty to disclose.

Either way, this isn't a do-it-yourself sort of event. You need to sit down with a local real estate attorney, and figure out what remedies (if any) are available to you, and which one makes the most sense from your perspective.

John Se

MA,
developing campsite on the 1,400 acres near my property.
QUOTE]

What do you call near? 1400 acres is over two square miles, I assume its wooded, whats the downside? What dont you like about it? Generally this sort of deal will fall under your due dilligence during your escrow period.

LindaP777

It sounds like a very nice camp ground (not "camp site" - you have many individual camp sites in a camp ground).
What makes you think your property values would drop? Just because you don't camp doesn't mean it's going to diminish homes values. Have you seen what they charge for nice camp sites?
Does your property adjoin this proposed camp ground? If so, the plus is no one will build right behind you. That would increase property values, I would think.

jimmler

MA,
I purchased my home on January 25, 2008. I paid $487,500 for it, in what is considered an upscale neighborhood in Carver, Massachusetts.

In March of 2008, I learn that there is a developing campsite on the 1,400 acres near my property. This campsite, I have learned, consists of a approximately 635 tents and RV's, horse stables, a train trolley, 28 cottages, a pool, fishing facilities, mini bike trails, and horse trails. As you see from my description, this is a rather large and comprehensive campsite, and one that will have a negative impact on the value of my property and home. Again, I had no prior knowledge of any of this before I purchased my home.

Before I purchased my home, neither the builders, the sellers realtor, my realtor, or the title insurance company disclosed the development of this campsite to me. A little over a month after I signed the papers to purchase my home, I found out through various outlets in the community, about the campsite that had plans of development well before I had looked at my house or purchased it.

Thank You,
You need to speak to a lawyer to see if you have any recourse, however you had an obligation on your own to check out the surrounding properties prior to making an offer. If it was public information that was available before you signed the contract, it may be your bad.

Good luck, not a lawyer, speaking from personal experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">