• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Difference between an "in-house" modification of a home mortgage & the HAMP program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

free4all

Difference between an "in-house" modification of a home mortgage & the HAMP program

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Currently, an individual requested help with their mortagage payments. They contacted the mortgage company, completed the packet & mailed it back to the mortgage company. The owner received a letter stating that he did not qualify for the HAMP (home affordable modification program) program however was eligible for an "in-house" modification through the mortgage company. The owner signed the proposed "in-house" modification which stated his payments were set at $1,131.54 with the first payment being due May 1st 2013; payments would remain at the same amount of $1,131.54 beginning June 1st 2013 and thereafter under this agreement. Owner made payment as per the agreement via phone with a customer service represenative of the mortgage company on April 19, 2013. Owner then re-verified what the agreement stated to make sure that all amounts and dates were the same. Customer service rep re-verified the information and stated that there would be no further changes to the proposed modification plan and instructed owner to continue paying the same amount of $1,131.54 beginning June 1st 2013 and thereafter. About (2) weeks later owner received a flyer from HAMP stating that he was now eligible for their program and was to begin making payments in the amount of $1,352.00 beginning May 1st 2013. Owner contacted the mortgage company about this and the mortgage company stated that since he made his 1st payment under the proposed "in-house" modification they went back and "re-figured" his amounts and stated per government law they would have to proceed under the HAMP guidelines. He was told that the prior payment was a forebearance payment. This does not make any sense, since he already had a signed agreement in place. The agreement did not state at any time that the account would be re-figured for HAMP consideration nor were the payments to be made considered forebearance. Here are my questions:

1) What is the difference between an "in-house" modification and the HAMP program?
2) Is there a government law that states mortgage companies must adhere and proceed under HAMP guidelines before offering an "in-house" modification?
3) If the owner was deemed not to be eligible for the HAMP program and the mortgage company granted an "in-house" modification for him of which he signed & returned, wouldn't this be a binding contract?
4) Since the "in-house" modification was already done, why did the mortgage company feel the need to go back and re-figure the payments and force the HAMP program?

It seems that the mortgage company is trying to wriggle out of the "in-house" modification and force the HAMP modification on the owner. I am sooo confused. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

FlyingRon

HAMP is a government assistance program (the bank gets money to mod your loan) and hence has a lot of regulations as to eligibility, etc.
Of course the bank is free to (in house) modify your loan without taking any money from the FHA as an incentive.

free4all

So would I be correct in thinking that since the "in-house" modification is in effect that would stand? If so, why would the mortgage company need to go back and re-figure everything that is already in place?

free4all

The document in question is a proposed modification agreement, followed by the actual loan modification agreement signed by the owner. The only conditions stated were those that pertained to the consequences of missed payments. Nothing about HAMP or the account being re-figured.

tranquility

I suspect you don't have a signed modification. If you think you do, take it to an attorney to review.

See also:
https://www.fanniemae.com/content/job_aid/loanworkoutfactsheet.pdf

note how a true modification must be recalculated under the "NPV model".

free4all

Thank you for your input. I will forward this information on to the owner. If you think of anything else helpful please let me know.

free4all

If you must know, I was asked for my help and this particular matter of a modification has to do with family. I do work in the legal field, however I could not answer these questions posed to me since I am not an attorney. I was merely trying to help them find out information that may help them in deciding what their next step is. Is that a problem?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You really ought to have all these people log on to ask their own questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">