• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute with Property Management company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dandl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am currently having a dispute with my property management company who manages a house we own in AZ.

We informed them in writing that the A/C was under warranty with company X. This warranty covers parts and maintenance. I asked them to use this company as to keep our warranty valid.

They claimed to have called Company X and were told (not true since I confirmed again with Company X and will get it in writing tomorrow) - that the A/C was not under warranty. Property management said they had an emergency and the tenant was requesting a stay at a hotel. The property management used company Y. I was not asked to approve this request since it was an emergency so I did not find out about it until the bill was deducted from my income received.

I wrote the property management company asking for refund since they did not use my vendor. They have refused.

I will not be renewing my contact with them in the fall.

What options do I have to get the $ back since it is obvious they are at fault and they are not playing nice?

Dandl

It is a very general property management agreement. States that the management company must use diligence in managing the property. I don't feel they were diligent. I clearly stated our AC was under warranty. They said they called and were told it was not under warranty. They never called me to verify or to provide additional information after supposedly talking to my AC company. I don't believe they called. They didn't even read correctly the email i sent them originally about the warranty nor did they ask any questions.

Also states that they will use the manager's contractors for repairs deemed necessary by the manager and the owner. In an emergency (which they claim this is) they can make the decision.

Doesn't specify what constitutes an emergency.

The tenants on the lease (2 women) were not even in the state when this happened. This is one of the tenant's son (he is not on the lease) I think he is a minor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">