• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disputed lease termination dates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stephanie_blue

I live in Texas. I signed a lease contract in April, 2000 for my apartment, with the manager of the complex. At the beginning of October, I received a notice on my door stating that my lease was about to expire (on October 31, 2000) and I decided at that time to move to another complex. I sent written notice to the manager, stating that I would be moving in 30 days. She acknowledged receipt of said letter. (Verbally, although I do have a fax confirmation sheet.) I found a new apartment, put a deposit down (that check has been cashed, btw), was accepted and have yet to sign the lease. (My move-in date for the new place is Oct. 28, at which time I will sign the new lease.)
Today (Oct. 20) the manager at my current residence called to tell me she made a mistake, my lease is not up until April 2001, and I will be responsible for that rent. (i.e., 6 months of rent) So. I pulled out my paperwork that was signed back in April. Turns out that the expiration date on that lease is April 30, *2000*. (I signed that lease on April 29, 2000.)
My questions are:
Will I be held to the *letter* of the lease (meaning that I should have been out of here in April 2000 and should now be free to go) or the *intent* of the lease (meaning that the 2000 date is just a typo and I'm really obligated for another 6 months)?
Do I really have to fork over 6 months' worth of rent if I do have to abide by the *intent* of the lease?
Is there any reason (other than damage or cleaning charges), when I do leave, that this complex could keep my security deposit?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stephanie_blue:
I live in Texas. I signed a lease contract in April, 2000 for my apartment, with the manager of the complex. At the beginning of October, I received a notice on my door stating that my lease was about to expire (on October 31, 2000) and I decided at that time to move to another complex. I sent written notice to the manager, stating that I would be moving in 30 days. She acknowledged receipt of said letter. (Verbally, although I do have a fax confirmation sheet.) I found a new apartment, put a deposit down (that check has been cashed, btw), was accepted and have yet to sign the lease. (My move-in date for the new place is Oct. 28, at which time I will sign the new lease.)
Today (Oct. 20) the manager at my current residence called to tell me she made a mistake, my lease is not up until April 2001, and I will be responsible for that rent. (i.e., 6 months of rent) So. I pulled out my paperwork that was signed back in April. Turns out that the expiration date on that lease is April 30, *2000*. (I signed that lease on April 29, 2000.)
My questions are:
Will I be held to the *letter* of the lease (meaning that I should have been out of here in April 2000 and should now be free to go) or the *intent* of the lease (meaning that the 2000 date is just a typo and I'm really obligated for another 6 months)?
Do I really have to fork over 6 months' worth of rent if I do have to abide by the *intent* of the lease?
Is there any reason (other than damage or cleaning charges), when I do leave, that this complex could keep my security deposit?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The year 2000 is a typo but you can claim that L agreed to the date that you would move out.

T

Tracey

L told you to leave; you said OK. L can't now come back & claim you have to pay rent until next year. L will argue that the notice was obviously based on a mistake, but you will argue that you thought L wanted you to leave by Oct. 31 & you agreed to terminate your lease early. L acknowledged this & has presumably been showing the apt. Leave on schedule if you want to move. Otherwise write L & say you will stay. L will try to withhold all your deposit & you will sue L for willful withholding & get double your deposit back.

Be sure to give L your forwarding address & be present at the inspection so you can do any last-minute cleaning L points out.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">