• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dissolving joint home ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pdubb2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I bought a home in Dec. of 2006 with the mother of my son. We are not married, but we have been together for 10 years. Her name is on the loan and the title along with mine. This was done because my credit was not good enough to qualify for a good homeowners loan. But, I was the one who put down over $15,000, and I am the one who has paid every mortgage payment. She has never contributed a penny to the purchase or payment of this home.
I am in the process of dissolving this relationship and I need to know how to precede as it pertains to the home. I would like to retain the home if possible. Can anyone tell me my options in this situation?

tranquility

Partition lawsuit or make a deal with the other person.

I recommend making a deal even if it causes you to wail and grind your teeth. It will be cheaper and better that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">