• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce decree and quitclaim issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laserdoc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I was divorced a few years ago. In the divorce decree, it states if I didn`t deliver a quitclaim deed to my ex within 10 days (I didn`t), then it would "amount to an outright conveyance of said real estate" from me to her. My name was never taken off the deed originally (I thought it would be automatic). The problem is, the utility company is sticking me with a bill for storm water management for the past year because she left the house a year ago and the house is now vacant. If my divorce decree states she has had full ownership and I don`t, even though my name was still on the deed itself until recently (I filed the paperwork with the county clerk this week concerning the decree and having my name taken off), then I shouldn`t be responsible for anything to do with the property or any bill that comes up. Am I correct?
Hope this was clear enough.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I was divorced a few years ago. In the divorce decree, it states if I didn`t deliver a quitclaim deed to my ex within 10 days (I didn`t), then it would "amount to an outright conveyance of said real estate" from me to her. My name was never taken off the deed originally (I thought it would be automatic). The problem is, the utility company is sticking me with a bill for storm water management for the past year because she left the house a year ago and the house is now vacant. If my divorce decree states she has had full ownership and I don`t, even though my name was still on the deed itself until recently (I filed the paperwork with the county clerk this week concerning the decree and having my name taken off), then I shouldn`t be responsible for anything to do with the property or any bill that comes up. Am I correct?
Hope this was clear enough.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: yoou will be responsible for the property until such time as you no longer are on the deed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">