• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce/the deed & the Mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hammy

I was awarded the house in the divorce and my ex has finally signed the deed to me. I have been under the impression for the past yr & 1/2 that I have to now refinance my mortgage, to remove him from it.

So many other folks, who have all gone thru a divorce look at me like I am crazy. They all tell me all I need to do is get him off the deed. Now the house is mine, he has nothing to do with it, and why go through the trouble & expense of the re-fi.

(Now, I just might anyway, because we went into Chapter 7 before we split & for 8 months that he lived in the house, he didn't pay the mortgage.
So I have some major credit rebuilding to do.)

But am I under any legal obligation to re-finance, to remove his name from the mortgage note?

PS in NJ. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">