• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I have a legal right to collect on a debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

quietsound

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am holding a deed of trust note for 17k and it's secured by the homestead (said house and property). There were no surplus funds available to pay off this debt owed to me after the house was auctioned off. Do I have a legal right to try and collect this debt from them anyway or do I just write it off on my taxes as a bad uncollected debt.

HomeGuru

quietsound said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am holding a deed of trust note for 17k and it's secured by the homestead (said house and property). There were no surplus funds available to pay off this debt owed to me after the house was auctioned off. Do I have a legal right to try and collect this debt from them anyway or do I just write it off on my taxes as a bad uncollected debt.

**A: if the auction was a BK auction you cannot collect. If the auction was a tax, foreclosure auction, then you can still go after the former property owners.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">