• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a witness?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ilambert

What is the name of your state? FL

What is the specific purpose of having a witness signature on a Deed form? Is it required to record the deed? Can a relative with the same last name sign as a witness? Can someone sign as a witness if they are on the mortgage but not on the deed? Are there any specific restrictions as to who can and who cannot sign as a witness?

I hope I'm not being to vague. I didn't want to bore everyone with all the background surrounding my questions. I can provide more detail if necessary though.

HomeGuru

ilambert said:
What is the name of your state? FL

What is the specific purpose of having a witness signature on a Deed form? Is it required to record the deed? Can a relative with the same last name sign as a witness? Can someone sign as a witness if they are on the mortgage but not on the deed? Are there any specific restrictions as to who can and who cannot sign as a witness?

I hope I'm not being to vague. I didn't want to bore everyone with all the background surrounding my questions. I can provide more detail if necessary though.
**A: a "witness" signature is not needed to record a deed but a notary jurat is.
A notary public attests to the ID of the person and that the person signing is signing as a free act and deed.

ilambert

So what you're saying is that as long as a deed is notarized it can be recorded without witness signatures?

What's the legal purpose of obtaining a witness signature? Are there any restrictions to who can sign as a witness?

Thanks

HomeGuru

ilambert said:
So what you're saying is that as long as a deed is notarized it can be recorded without witness signatures?

**A: the notary public IS the witness.

What's the legal purpose of obtaining a witness signature? Are there any restrictions to who can sign as a witness?

Thanks

**A: I am not understanding your questions. Contact your nearest local escrow and title company and ask them.

ilambert

If someone is on the mortgage for a property, but not on the deed. Can they serve as a witness for deed transfer or would they be considered a related party and therefore ineligible to sign as a witness?

Thanks,

HomeGuru

ilambert said:
If someone is on the mortgage for a property, but not on the deed. Can they serve as a witness for deed transfer or would they be considered a related party and therefore ineligible to sign as a witness?

Thanks,
**A: why are you asking these questions and who is telling you that you need a witness?

ilambert

HomeGuru said:
**A: why are you asking these questions and who is telling you that you need a witness?
I'm asking on behalf of a relative who is being fed what sounds like flawed information from her son and supposedly his attorney. I'm just attempting to validate if what he's telling her is on the level. She won't seek an attorney because she's his mom and she wants to trust him. I don't.

She signed a quick deed to transfer her interest in his house to him and his wife. Mom and Dad are on the mortgage, only mom was on the deed. Dad and an aunt signed the quick deed transfer as witnesses. They sent it to the son and he says it was witnessed incorrectly. He said that dad couldn't sign it as a witness because he's got the same last name. <-- This can't be true.

He's coming to town to have her resign the paperwork supposedly for that reason.

That's why I was asking if there are any restrictions on who can and cannot sign as a witness. This forum has been helpful before for my legal questions so I was hoping I would get the same type of helpful advice I received before.

HomeGuru

ilambert said:
I'm asking on behalf of a relative who is being fed what sounds like flawed information from her son and supposedly his attorney. I'm just attempting to validate if what he's telling her is on the level. She won't seek an attorney because she's his mom and she wants to trust him. I don't.

She signed a quick deed to transfer her interest in his house to him and his wife. Mom and Dad are on the mortgage, only mom was on the deed. Dad and an aunt signed the quick deed transfer as witnesses. They sent it to the son and he says it was witnessed incorrectly. He said that dad couldn't sign it as a witness because he's got the same last name. <-- This can't be true.

He's coming to town to have her resign the paperwork supposedly for that reason.

That's why I was asking if there are any restrictions on who can and cannot sign as a witness. This forum has been helpful before for my legal questions so I was hoping I would get the same type of helpful advice I received before.
**A: we can't possibly help you without all the correct facts. Have your relative hire a real estate attorney.

ilambert

HomeGuru said:
**A: we can't possibly help you without all the correct facts. Have your relative hire a real estate attorney.
Ok...with the facts that I've stated can you answer whether the Dad who's on the mortgage (but not on the deed) can sign as a witness on a deed transfer for that property?

HomeGuru

ilambert said:
Ok...with the facts that I've stated can you answer whether the Dad who's on the mortgage (but not on the deed) can sign as a witness on a deed transfer for that property?
**A: No.

P

Pfaffing85690

I figured by now someonw at FA would have broken out is song .....

"Can I get a Witness?...
Can I get a witness..."

ilambert

Pfaffing85690 said:
I figured by now someonw at FA would have broken out is song .....

"Can I get a Witness?...
Can I get a witness..."
I came *this* close to calling my thread 'Can I Get A Witness'...did think anyone would get my dry sense of humor though.

Good to know I'm among my kind :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">