• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do you have rights if your name's not on the title?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shrinker

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? texas

i've had my house for 13 yrs. i met someone about two yrs ago and she sold her house & gave up her home based business to move in w/me a yr ago. i made some promises back then, some in writing & through emails, that i'd let her stay in the house if we split up. i never gave her any legal ownership of the house, my name is the only one on the title. we're splitting up & i have moved in w/my parents to get away from her & give her time to pack & get out. she says my moving out (abandonment?) gives her full ownership of the house along w/my promises. does she have a leg to stand on?

HomeGuru

shrinker said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? texas

i've had my house for 13 yrs. i met someone about two yrs ago and she sold her house & gave up her home based business to move in w/me a yr ago. i made some promises back then, some in writing & through emails, that i'd let her stay in the house if we split up. i never gave her any legal ownership of the house, my name is the only one on the title. we're splitting up & i have moved in w/my parents to get away from her & give her time to pack & get out. she says my moving out (abandonment?) gives her full ownership of the house along w/my promises. does she have a leg to stand on?
**A: generally no but based on your verbal and written promises, she may have a claim for partial ownership of the property.

S

shrinker

What about homesteading? I've homesteaded the house. Should I contact a lawyer or should I just attempt to file an eviction notice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">