• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Granting a Right of Way lower my Property Value?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CRigoli

I am in Vermont. I own a home on 6 acres at the end of a dead end road. I have been contacted by the owner of the adjecent parcel of land. It is essentially landlocked. There is a small logging trail that leads to his land, but thats it. He was tyring to upgrade the logging trail to a 'real' road, but the other 6 landowners have fought it. They do not wnat the development behind us to use the road as a 'cut thru'.

So he has contacted me about getting a right of way thru my land to get to his. It would cut about 1/4 acre corner off my land. I am not really sure how I feel about it. I don't really use that portion of my land. It is just woods & brush. I am just not sure how it normally works? Would he monetarily compensate me for this? How much will it de-value my property?

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">