+ Reply to Thread
    JackieLoLo Guest

Does Individual Grant Deed need to be recorded

What is the name of your state? California
    I paid off the mortgage on my condo 2 years ago.
    At the county recorder's office, a deed of trust with the original
    mortgage company has been reassigned twice to newer mortgage companies and finally, with my payoff, I was recorded as trustee in the Substitution of Trustee document, and my name is on the Reconveyance. I have an old document, the Individual Grant Deed, which the former owners signed in 1991, granting the condo to me. But at the county recorder's office, the Deed to my condo is still in the former owners' names. Do I present this Individual Grant Deed document and a form requesting a record change with my name showing as owning the deed, pay the fee and that's it, or do I need the help of a real estate attorney or need to contact the former owners? Also, should this have been recorded earlier with the recorder's office by me or by some other party (title company,...)? Thank you for your time and help.
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member

Re: Does Individual Grant Deed need to be recorded

Originally posted by JackieLoLo
    What is the name of your state? California
    I paid off the mortgage on my condo 2 years ago.
    At the county recorder's office, a deed of trust with the original
    mortgage company has been reassigned twice to newer mortgage companies and finally, with my payoff, I was recorded as trustee in the Substitution of Trustee document, and my name is on the Reconveyance. I have an old document, the Individual Grant Deed, which the former owners signed in 1991, granting the condo to me. But at the county recorder's office, the Deed to my condo is still in the former owners' names. Do I present this Individual Grant Deed document and a form requesting a record change with my name showing as owning the deed, pay the fee and that's it, or do I need the help of a real estate attorney or need to contact the former owners? Also, should this have been recorded earlier with the recorder's office by me or by some other party (title company,...)? Thank you for your time and help.
    **A: a little confusing but take all your docs to a real estate attorney and get everything resolved the right way.